NOTE TO MIPPA>> Read on. Here's where the story begins to split. Both Liz and I have an alternate scene, and now here are additions to BOTH SCENES. Meanwhile, Joanna's trying to get Keiko to tell Otaru the truth, and has already decided how it's going to happen, while the rest of the writers think it best not to do so. Here's where the thing goes haywire:

 

 

"Yes. Kakeru-Kun and I had the same idea." Otaru smiled cheerfully. The morning did agree with him. Unlike Keiko, who wasn't much of a morning person.

"Really." Keiko said in more of a statement than a question. "Fine, I apologize."

Kakeru put his hand on Keiko's head and acted worried. "Oh, are you sick?"

"Very funny." She glared.

"Hey, you thought so out on that cliff." Kakeru chuckled.

"Am I missing something?" Otaru blinked.

 

"So far everything has been running smoothly." Staci said. "No interruptions, no pranks, no nothing!"

She smiled in satisfaction. In her all too brief moment of glory, her walkie-talkie went off.

"PHEONIXSCOUT TO PHEONIX BASE!!" Naoki yelled. "WE HAVE A PROBLEM IN THE LAKE!!"

"Hmm? What?" Staci looked worried.

"IT'S COVERED! I MEAN AAALLLLLL COVERED IN SHAVING CREAM!!" Naoki exclaimed. "I DON'T KNOW HOW, BUT IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE!!"

 

Kakeru laughed to himself.

"What's so funny?" Keiko asked.

"Private joke." He smirked. Screams were now heard as girls fled from the lake in towels.

 

 

 

 

Otaru's eyes widened in surprise. "Kakeru? Didn't you just say...?" He said this as calmly as he could. What he was really thinking... "Keiko? Kakeru? Noooooo!!!"

 

Keiko suddenly felt trapped. She knew that what she had just said made no sense. She felt angry at Otaru... and had know idea why. Couldn't he just forget about the whole thing?!

"You know what? I really don't know the details... so just... ask her herself!"

 

She ran away before Otaru could see her eyes fill with tears. She felt really bad about being so sharp to Otaru, and suddenly wished that she could take it all back. But then... she realized she wouldn't be able to anyway. She had made up so many excuses lately, told so many lies, that... she wanted to go away to sort it all out! Before Otaru tried to ask Amuro Keiko about Kakeru... --Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

Keiko jerked suddenly out of her faint sleep. Her backed ached like mad from leaning against the tree, and her nose was numb from the cold.

/what a wierd dream.../ she thought to herself as she recalled it. Otaru, admitting to liking Keiko, Kakeru doing something nice for her, breakfast... She shook her head.

 

There was an uncomfortable warmness on Keiko's shoulders as she realized, with a sudden blush, that Kakeru and Otaru both sat beside her, asleep, with their heads resting on either side of her shoulders. She quickly pushed down any thought in her mind, and rested her head in her knees, convincing herself that she was still tired.  But she just couldn't. Her back was aching, and, for some reason, she'd begun to have a stomach ache. And, she noted with sudden displeasure, she felt unordinarily unclean... unpleasent... moist...

"moist?!" Keiko breathed to herself, her eyes nearly bulging with realization. Without realizing, her fingers had slipped down between her knees and emerged, to her utter horror, red. She was breathing heavily now, and struggled to shift Kakeru and Otaru's weight from her shoulder.

/NOT NOW! NO NO NO!/ Keiko shouted furiously in her mind, propping up her blankets between her two sleeping friends, to make up for her absence. However, it seemed her presence was not really needed for, when she rose to her feet, Otaru and Kakeru merely shifted in their sleep and against eachother, now sleeping back-to-back with eachother. Keiko took a moment to admire the scene before recalling her emergency and panicking.

/Now what do I do?!/ she questioned herself, hopping impatiently on the balls of her feet and looking around.

 

"...Aika and Naoki!!!" Keiko breathed with relief, remembering stupidly that she was in a camp full of girls. She ran hurriedly up the hill, where she remembered Aika letting her sleep in a tent earlier that day.

 

Keiko, out of breath and cramping from the long trudge up the hill, eventually made it to Aika's tent, conviently located away from everyone else. Without much thought, she fell to her hands and knees, unzipped the tent, and fell in, gasping.

"AIKA! NAOKI! PADS! NOW!" Keiko shouted at both the girls who were wrapped tightly in their sleeping bags. She shook them feverishly by the shoulders to arouse them. When they finally woke up, Keiko took Aika by the shoulders (poor Aika had been nearest to the door), and shook her, shouting her demands.  Naoki's eyes widened with shock as she listened in on Keiko's recent news. She managed to calm Keiko down, torn between amusement and pity at her friend's unfortunate situation. Aika, she noted, was feeling the same, by the look on her face matched her own. They both shared sideways grins before turning their attention to Keiko.

"So, why don't you have any pads, Keiko?" Aika questioned with false concern, attempting not to giggle. Naoki gave her a warning look.

Keiko sniffled. "I'm almost a week early!"

"Oh?" Naoki siad brightly, reaching into nearby bag. "So, would you prefer pads or tampons?"

"Pads."

"Sure?"

Keiko recalled an instance in her mind about using tampons. She had sworn never again. "Pads. I'm sure."

Aika and Naoki agreed happily to accompany Keiko while she changed behind a bush, as far away from camp as they could possibly get without the fear of being eaten by wild animals. Once she was finished, they said goodbye to her and left to their tent, stifling their giggles.

Keiko felt a bit cleaner now that she was changed, but she still felt sore and tired. She knew all she needed was sleep for a few days, but she knew she couldn't. They were going to finish up the hike tomorrow...

"Might as well get as much sleep as I can..." she thought aloud, relocating the spot where she had left Otaru and Kakeru to sleep on without her. When she got there, however, she was surprised to see Kakeru, his eyes now open and staring, but still leaning against Otaru, most likely to conceal warmth; or, to keep Otaru asleep.

Kakeru rose his head to her as she approached, and, to Keiko's surprise, smiled sympathetically as she sat down against the tree, once again seperating the two boys.

"That time of month?" Kakeru said knowingly, and Keiko could feel her cheeks turning red.

"How'd you--"

Kakeru cut her off. "I--er--woke up when you moved and saw you walking off... and--your pants were..." he trailed off, his own face turning a deep crimson to match Keiko's. She nodded, and shifted uneasily.
"Well," she began to explain, "I went to Aika and Naoki's tent--they're so cool--and they gave me some... supplies... and I changed."

Kakeru nodded knowingly, as if the same thing had once happened to him--which Keiko knew was impossible. Sighing, she rested her head against the thick trunk of the tree, pulling her blanket tighter around her shoulders.

"Just wish I had some aspirin, though--" Her words were once again cut off, this time by a tiny snort given off by (to Keiko's amusement) Otaru. It was everything she could do not to burst out laughing.

"I didn't know Otaru snored!" she whispered, an amused grin crossing her face. Kakeru grinned as well, but not so much out of amusement as Keiko. 

"Sleeps like a log, that guy," Kakeru stated, "Poked him in the face, even; didn't even move. Just snorted and his head lolled onto the other side."

Keiko grinned wildly at this new fact. "Ya learn something new every day," she said, resting her chin on her knees. "But, now I have something to pick on him for!" Her eyes twinkled happily. Kakeru nodded, before resting his head on the trunk of the tree, and sighing contentedly.It had gotten cold without Keiko's presence there. Within minutes, both of them too tired to say anything mroe, they both fell asleep.  --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 Otaru woke up to see Kei beside him. He looked at his watch, and gasped. '8 already?!' He gently nudged her. She stirred, and opened her eyes with a groan.

"Sempai! Wake up. It's Eight'o'clock!" Otaru said. "We're late for breakfast!"

Kei's eyes opened wide, and her stomach grumbled. In her uncomfortable position that last thing she needed now was to eat icky, cold food. He nudged her again. "I'm getting up, OKAY?!" She exclaimed. Otaru jumped.

"No need to be upset Sempai." He smiled. "Someone got up on the wrong side of the tree this morning."

Keiko managed to smile. "Let's go."

At breakfast, Kei was unusually silent. 'I wonder what's wrong?' Otaru thought.

Once finished, Kei and Otaru were about to leave, but when Kei got up from the table, 'he' yelped in pain.

"Are you okay?" Otaru asked.

"Yeah, fine. Just cramps." She said, then opened her eyes wide. 'IDIOT!' She thought. "I think I slept on that tree wrong." She added quickly.

"I think any way of sleeping under a tree is wrong." Otaru laughed. He looked up at the sky. "Looks like rain."

 

'Great.' Keiko thought. 'Rain.. Ugh..'

"By that look on your face, I'm guessing you don't like the rain." Otaru smiled.

"Of course not!" She snapped. "Why, do you?"

"Sure! It's so traquil." He looked up at the clouds. "It's early yet, maybe they'll pass before it gets too heavy."

"I hope so.." Keiko mumbled.

 

Kakeru was looking over some sheet music in his 'tent', if you could call it that.

Keiko walked by, and mumbled something, and angry look on her face. A confused Otaru stood by a tree. Kakeru decided to check it out.

 

"All I said was that he looked irritated." Otaru told Kakeru.

"Then what?" Kakeru folded his arms.

"Then he said, 'WHAT DO YOU THINK?', then I said 'No reason to get all upset', and he said, 'NO REASON?!', then he stomped off. I just don't understand." Otaru sighed.

Kakeru supressed a chuckle. "Don't mind him. He's just upset, that's all. You need to let him cool off." In his mind, he added, 'Yeah, for like, the next ten days, give or take.'

Otaru shook his head in confusion and walked off.

 

Two hours later, Keiko had still not returned from her little steaming session. The clouds overhead were getting darker, and it was only a matter of time until rain fell. He decided to go after her. He found footprints that had to be hers, or o he hoped. As Kakeru followed, about 15 minutes later, sprinkles of water gently trinkled down his face. He looked up. The storm was begining. Within minutes, the few drops turned into a feirce storm, that he couldn't escape out in the open. After about ten or so more minutes, he found himself at the foot of a cave.The only way to get refuge from the cold wind and pouring waters was to go inside. The further in he got, the quiter the raging thunder became. But he soon heard another sound.. Crying. There, a sobbing, but dry girl sat on the ground, her long hair over her shoulders, and glasses in her hands... --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

"Keiko?"

Her head sprung up from her knees, and she stared at Kakeru, her eyes red and puffy from crying. She wiped her eyes distractedly, before shooting a menacing glance at Kakeru.

"Go away!" she said, before flopping her head down on her knees again and letting out a stifled sob. Kakeru was reminded of a five-year-old in the middle of a tantrum. Instead of doing what she had commmanded him, he approached her, his brows furrowed.

"Keiko," Kakeru said softly, the slightest hint of concern embedded in his voice. "What're you doing here? The whole camp's prob'ly looking for you, by now!"

Keiko sniffed, but did not raise her head. "I don't care. LET them look for me!"

Kakeru began to grow impatient. "Keiko, you--"

Kakeru's sentence was suddenly cut off by a sound that made goosebumps on his skin: thunder. Keiko screeched loudly at the sound, unable to control herself.

"I WANNA GO HOME!" she yelled, causing the cave to echo with her whiny voice. Kakeru covered his ears, before kneeling down beside Keiko and clasping his hand over her mouth.

"Stop that!" he ordered, cautiously taking his hand off her mouth. Instead of yelling, Keiko took to pouting, and looking as sulky as ever.

"Now," Kakeru started, glaring at Keiko. "Will you be reasonable and listen now?"

Keiko sniffed a "yes". Kakeru smiled.

"Good. We need to get back to camp before this storm gets any worse--" another roll of thunder bellowed through the cave, and Keiko whimpered.

"Take that back," Kakeru said, peering toward where a light stood as the cave entrance.

"We'll wait out the storm, then we'll go back to camp and--"

"NO!" Keiko whined, her face flushing. "I'm never going back there! Being a guys sucks!"

She hid her face in her knees again, just barely escaping the piercing gaze from Kakeru.

"Will you come off it?" he growled, "I know it's "that time of month" for you, but it doesn't give you an excuse to act like that!"

Keiko lifted her head, her brows furrowed in anger. "It gives me EVERY right! It's not easy being a girl, you know!"

"It's not easy being a guy, either!" Kakeru retaliated.

"Well, it's even harder being a girl being a guy!" Keiko squeaked, her voice going unusually high. Her eyes began brimming with tears.

Kakeru had no idea how to retaliate now. Having never pretended to be the oppisite sex, he had no idea how Keiko would have been feeling. Guilt hit his stomach like a weight. She really had it rough...

Keiko had gone back to sulking. Kakeru, now feeling guilty and not wanting another argument with Keiko, decided to sulk himself. Standing up, he decided he'd like to explore the cave some, if he was going to be stuck in it with an already moody girl on pms.

However, with the first step he took, he tripped and fell flat on his back, losing his breath. Laughter erupted in the cave, and Kakeru, having regained his breath only slightly, perched up on his elbows to look at Keiko, who held her stomach from laughing.

It was an improvement to see a smile on Keiko's face, but it was the fact that it was HIM that was the source of her entertainment that made him turn sour.

"That wasn't funny."

Keiko brushed her eyes against the back of her hand. "I know! It was hillarious! You should fall down more often!"

Keiko's laughter ceased when another roll of thunder shook the cave. She hugged herself tightly, shutting her eyes.

Kakeru noticed this, and sat down beside her. "Cliffs AND thunder?" he said teasingly.

"What are you--are girl?"

Keiko didn't smile. It didn't seem like she'd heard his joke at all, as she hugged herself even tighter. Kakeru raised his eyebrows in concern.

"Keiko?" he questioned, "You okay?"

Keiko burst. "NO! I'm NOT okay!" she spluttered, sniffling back tears once again. "And since when did YOU start caring about whether I'm okay or not?"

Kakeru blinked. "I--"

"Over half the time I'm NOT okay," Keiko interrupted, "YOU'RE the reason!"

Kakeru choked. Did he really do that to Keiko...?

Keiko pounded her fists on the ground furiously. "I hate you! I don't even know why I tolerate you! You're mean, insensitive, cruel...!" The insults continued. Kakeru sat, gazing at Keiko with awe. Did she really mean those things?

Keiko had begun to cry again. Her eyes were tightly shut, as were her fists, as if ready to strike Kakeru at any moment. He gulped and felt his own eyes sting.

/Do I really cause her that much pain that she keeps it bottled inside like that...?/

The insults were still coming out in a steady flow. Finally, Kakeru did something drastic, without much thinking (if any). Keiko's words were suddenly ceased and caught in her throat. She felt her heart skip a fewnecessary beats as, much to her surprise as his, Kakeru had her in a crushing hug.

"I'm sorry," Kakeru whispered into her ear, his lips just barely brushing against her cheek. Keiko felt her heart race, and, her eyes flooding over again, she allowed herself to cry freely onto his shoulder.

"I had no idea I caused you so much misery," Kakeru said after a moment, still hugging her tightly. He could feel Keiko's head moving back and forth on his shoulder in a derterminate "no".

"It's not just you, it's this whole... thing. Everything."

Kakeru nodded understandingly. Though he had no experience being a girl, he had a slight idea of what she meant, and pity surged through him. She really, really had it rough...  --TD

 

 

 

 

Keiko, getting over her fears, blushed. Was Kakeru hugging her? Was he acting this way? And why was her heart beating so fast? She told herself it was the storm, but was it really?  Kakeru felt his stomach turn. He was here hugging Keiko, they were there, all alone.  He was wet, and cold, but somehow he didn't notice. Keiko pushed away, stood up and turned around. Something felt strange about hugging him. Not bad, just, strange. Kakeru stood up. "Have you explored this cave yet?"

"No! There could be bats, and spiders and all kinds of stuff!" Keiko looked in horror. He laughed and took hold of her arm gently.

"Hey!" She exclaimed. He pulled her closer.

They both paused. "Don't worry, I'll protect you," He smiled.

She turned around and put her nose in the air. "You protect ME? I'm gonna need protection from you, you creep."

Kakeru blushed, then put his arm around Keiko. "Okay! Let's go!"

Suddenly Keiko felt like she was in a movie she saw once. It didn;t turn out good. She clinged to Kakeru's arm. He blushed more. As they went through, there was a fork in the tunnel. The went to the right. Dead end. They turned back and went to the left. Kakeru looked around, his flashlight in his hand. Keiko was caught up in being so close to Kakeru.

"Woops. Can't go through here." Kakeru said.

"Why?" Keiko looked over. It was too dark, but when Kakeru pointed his flashlight that way.. Keiko screamed. A giant spider and it's web sat in front of the path.

"Well, that's it for exploring." Kakeru smiled. They walked back to the entrance, and Keiko sat down on a rock.

"I WANT TO GO HOME! NOW!!" She yelled.

"Shh!" Kakeru said. "Do you want to cause a cave in?"

Keiko looked at him, horrified. She put her hands over her mouth and cried again. Kakeru sighed. 'Why me?' He thought.

He sat next to her, and put his hand on her shoulder. "Calm down. The storm will be over soon." She quietly looked at him, still bawling. He gently wiped the tears from her eyes, and held her chin with his hand. Her mind was racing. 'What?! Is he going to kiss me? Did I say he could kiss me? Do I want him to kiss me? I dont even like Kakeru! I like Otaru! I mean, wait, I do like Kakeru, and I like Otaru, I mean, I like Otaru?! Since when do I like Otaru?! Since when do I like Kakeru? Am I insane?! Should I let him kiss me?' He lifted her chin closer to his, and closed his eyes, and.. She put her hand in between their lips.

"Hey, buddy! Did I say you could kiss me?!" She was furious, partly because she was mad at him, and partly because she wanted to kiss him, too..

"I, Umm, Uh, Er.." Kakeru was bright red. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

"I..." Kakeru stuttered, his face going redder by the second. Finally, his mind came up with a reasonable excuse.

"You've got a bug in your hair," he stated, reaching around Keiko. "Hold still; I'll get it out."

There was a tense silence as Kakeru, pretending, managed to pull out an invisible bug. He hid it from Keiko's view as he let it out onto the ground, then got to his feet.

He ran a hand through his hair nervously. /Man... what was I about to do?/

Oblivious to Kakeru pacing around her, she had been wondering the exact same thing. What HAD Kakeru been doing? It was far too close for him to simply be retrieving a bug...

"Wow..." Keiko said, her own voice taking her by surprise as it broke the silence. "For a second, I thought you were really gonna kiss me!" she sighed with relief, though, cautiously, she watched Kakeru from the side of her eye, expecting to see him blush any moment. But, to her amazement, he turned to her, his face looking void of any emotion.

"I WAS gonna kiss you..." he said, his voice oddly monotone. Keiko felt her stomach twist in knots at his words. She opened her mouth to reply, when he spoke to her.

"Come on," he said, his voice taking on a cold note. "The storm's letting up. We should probably head back to camp before dark, or else they'll send out a search party."

Before Keiko could protest, he had grabbed her roughly by the arm and nearly dragged her all the way to the exit of the cave.

Then he stopped dead. For a moment, Keiko wondered why, until she noticed-- Her jaw dropped. The entrance to the cave was blocked by rocks and dirt. It felt as if the pit of her stomach had fallen out, leaving her feeling dizzy and disoriented.

"But... why didn't we hear... it..." she said dazedly, the air in her lungs slipping out. Her head felt dizzy.

"Must have happened when we were exploring..." Kakeru said, to Keiko's surprise, calm. His voice didn't quiver like Keiko's did; only his eyebrows showed any trace of concern on his face.

Panick gripped Keiko like a hand around her throat. She was trapped--in a damp, cold cave--no one knew where she was--alone with KAKERU!

"NO! LET ME OUT!" She screamed, jumping to the wall of rocks and pounding as hard as she could on them. "OTARU! OBARI! SOMEBODY! I WANT OUT! I CAN'T STAY IN HERE! SAVE ME! OTARU! OTA--"

Kakeru gripped a hand around her mouth. "Do you want to cause another cave-in?!" he whispered furiously, dragging her away from the wall. When Kakeru released her, she fell down to the floor, and started bawling.

Kakeru rolled his eyes. /how many times can a girl cry in one day?/ turning his attention to the wall, he attempted to tug out one of the rocks. it was wedged in. He followed suit with the other rocks, finding that they were all the same as the first. He turned defeatedly to Keiko.

"Well, the only way we'd be able to get those to budge is if we had a sledge hammer and about six other people," he stated, realizing immediately that this was the wrong thing to say. It only caused her to cry louder, and Kakeru was forced to clamp her mouth shut again, giving her a warning look.

Keiko nodded and trudged drearily after Kakeru further into the cave, as he had the only flashlight between them. They picked a suitable spot not too far away from the cave entrance to sit and...

"We wait," Kakeru stated simply as Keiko sat beside him, sniffling. He couldn't help but grin at how she acted; like a five-year-old just after a tantrum.

"I'm so tired..." she said, expanding her point by giving an audible yawn.

"Then sleep," Kakeru suggested, shrugging his shoulders and leaning against a nearby rock. He rested his head on it, and closed his eyes. "We're not gonna have anything better to do, for a while--til somebody finds us."

 

Keiko nodded, pain, misery, and Kakeru forgotten, she leaned on the rock beside Kakeru. She removed her glasses, realizing, for the first time, how very dark the cave was. She shivered. Beside, her, Kakeru could feel her skin quiver.

"You cold?"

Keiko shook her head. "No, just... kinda freaked out."

Kakeru nodded, but scooted closer to her, none-the-less, pressing his shoulder against hers. She felt her face go warm.

Making herself more comfortable against the rock, Keiko closed her eyes. It was only moments after she had done so that she fell into a peaceful sleep.  --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

A million thoughts wandered about Kakeru's mind. 'What was I thinking? Did I actually believe she would want to kiss me? I'm such an idiot.' He looked over at her, peacefully sleeping, and managed to smile, despite the scoldings in his head. 'She's so beautiful..'

He stood up, and figured, as long as Keiko couldn't panic, maybe he should go check out that spider web again. Maybe he could get around it..

 

Otaru's worried expression troubled Rina. He waited impatiently to speak with Obari about Kei. He knew they were doing all they could, but he couldn't shake this feeling of helplessness. Rina walked up to him, and put her hand on his arm.

"I'm sure they're doing everything they can to find Kei." She assured him.

"I want to help, but I cant do anything!" He seemed angrier than she'd ever seen him.

"It's okay, I'm sure sh- *cough* he is fine." Rina smiled. 'That was close. How could I almost slip up, and so easily?!'

 

Kakeru found himself at the spider web, with no spider in sight. 'Hmm..' He thought. He searched the area with his flashlight, and after finding nothing, he gently tugged on the web, to demolish it. After he was finished, he moved up his hand to wipe his brow. 'Whew.' His relief suddenly turned into horror, when the spider, about the size of a tarantula, was crawling slowly on his arm.

 

Keiko awoke to a yell. "Kakeru?!" She exclaimed. She stood up and brushed herself off.

She then ran towards the tunnel. Soon she found herself at the fork, and remembered. "He wouldn't.." She went to the left. Kakeru stood, his arm extended, with a horrified look on his face. She finally realized the large black spider on his arm. She gasped. Without thinking, she ran to his arm, swatted off the spider and stomped on it, full force, six times. She was ready for the seventh, and Kakeru stopped her.

"I think it's dead." He told her.

"Whew." She said.

 

Obari lead a group of TUA students to look for Kei and Kakeru. Otaru was the first to volunteer.  --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

The search parties were divided into pairs. Otaru, to his sudden dismay, was stuck with Jiro, who was still planning "battle tactics". Otaru couldn't get a word in edgewise, so he contented himself with staying silent and scanning his eyes everywhere he went. It had gotten dark, and his stomach was twisted in knots form worry.  /You'd better be alright, Sempai.../

 

In a matter of speaking, Keiko WAS doing alright. After the encounter with the spider, however, she felt extremely drained of energy; she wished with every bone in her body for a bath and a meal.

 

After the "attack" (as Kakeru had so nicely dubbed it), Keiko had wanted nothing but sleep and--

 

"Foooood..." Keiko moaned, rubbing her stomach absently. "I'm sooooooo huuuuuuungryyyyyyy..."

Kakeru vaguely remembered storing something in his pockets for a prank he had been planning earlier that day. Quietly reaching into his pocket, he located the item, and pulled it out.

"I have some caramels..." he stated, staring blankly at the candy he had been planning to melt all over Jiro. Keiko looked at the caramels greedily. Her hands lurched forward to grab them all at once, but she drew back, knowing it was unfair.

"So, how do we split them?" she asked gloomily, the prospect of having only half of the candies increasing her hunger. Kakeru inspected the candies carefully.

"Well, there are seven of them, so they won't be divided evenly... So, you'll get one more than me."

Keiko felt a rush of gratitude toward Kakeru. Quickly snatching her four candies and allowing Kakeru his three, she devoured them within seconds. Kakeru took his time, slowly nibbling off bits at a time and observing the shiny wrappers.

A sniffling sound met his ears and he lifted his eyes away from the wrapper to meet eyes with Keiko, who was bearing the poutiest face she could muster. Kakeru sighed.

"Fine..." he murmured, handing over his last caramel. Keiko squeaked happily and, almost as soon as she had snatched the treat, she had eaten it, and was smiling contentedly. Kakeru couldn't help but snicker at the childish look on her face.

Next moment, she was looking sour again. Kakeru raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Eh... can I use your flashlight?" she asked, a slight brush creeping up to her cheeks. "I need to... change."

 

Understanding immediately, Kakeru handed over his flashlight and watched as Keiko descended farther into the cave, out of his eyeshot. He listened, instead, and heard the ripping of plastic and other such noises as he waited patiently (though somewhat nervously; he always needed the comfort of a flashlight) for Keiko to return. When she did, she was in a happy mood again, obviously feeling refreshed.

Kakeru was glad; he didn't want to have to deal with a moody Keiko, in the morning. She sat down beside him, letting out a yawn.

"Yeah, sleep sounds like a good idea," Kakeru said, again resting his back against the rock. Keiko, however, was contented leaning against Kakeru, causing his face to go a deep shade of pink (which, luckily, Keiko couldn't see in the dark).

It didn't take long for Keiko to get back to sleep. Kakeru, however, had a hard time with that, as he wondered what might happen if Keiko were suddenly awake and find herself with Kakeru near her.

/slap me, most likely.../ he thought tiredly. /girls and their mood swings.../ --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I say we go back. It's nighttime, there's nothing we can do now." Jiro said. Otaru was looking at the rock face.

"Hmm.." He said. "This looks, strange.."

"What?" Jiro looked at the rocks. "Just looks like a bunch of rocks."

"Let's come back here in the morning, this looks.. ..Interesting." Otaru said. 'It's almost if those rocks were moved.."

 

Kakeru awoke with a sudden embarrassment. Keiko was asleep. Her arm around his chest, and her head on his shoulder. He turned deep crimson. She stirred, as if to awaken, and he decided it best to pretend to be asleep.

 

Whe Keiko woke up, she realized her position. 'ACK!' She thought in embarrassment. She stood up and took Kakeru's flashlight, to go, change.. When the footsteps got farther away, Kakeru opened his eyes widely. The darkness was making him uneasy. But he saw light seeping through from somewhere. He stood up to see what it was, and...

 

When Keiko returned, Kakeru was in a panic. "Hurry!" He said quietly. "Put your hair up!"

In the rush of finding her tie, she finally realized. "We're being saved!" She exclaimed. Once she tied her hair, she hugged Kakeru happily. He blushed.

 

Otaru helped Jiro remove the rocks, along with Kuji, Obari and a few of the more muscular boys. Otaru knew they were in there. He could just feel it. Once the got a solid whole through, Obari yelled loudly, "IS ANYONE IN THERE??"

They heard it echo through the cave. A pause then followed. Otaru looked worried. The had to be in there!

"Yes!! Help us get out!" The voice of Kakeru said.

"Who am I speaking to?" Obari called back.

"It's Kakeru and Fujishige Kei!" Kakeru called back, happy to hear Obari's voice.

A sigh of relief followed from Obari. and One from Otaru aswell. --Ikuno

 

NOTE TO MIPPA>> *sobs* This is so upsetting. I forgot to save some of it and missed Otaru's relief, Anij's anger and a funny scene with 'The Rules', dictated to Otaru from Anji about his sister. That was some of my favorite scenes!! And now they're gone.. That's why there is a big gap, *sob*...

 

 

 

 

Kakeru and Otaru walked into the tent and then Otaru zipped the flap to the tent. He didn't want to risk Anjii finding him again.  They then walked over to Keiko, and to there surprise, she was still asleep.

"Hey get up." Kakeru said. He then poked her in the shoulder. She didn't even move. So Kakeru just poked her harder. Keiko jumped up.

"Kakeru! What the hell are you trying to do!? I'm gonna..." She stopped mid-sentance when she saw Otaru. "Oh! Hi Otaru! How are you doing?"

Otaru blinked. 'He sure does change his emotions fast. Just a second ago he was chewing Kakeru out!' He thought. He blinked again.

"Um.. well fine I guess. But, Anji came over to my tent and started giving me rules about.." Otaru blushed.

"Who?"Keiko decided to play dumb.

"Keiko." Otaru looked like a tomato.

Kekio made a face."Oh god. Anjii's such a dork! Don't pay any attention to him, he's a nut-case." Keiko then rolled her eyes for an added effect. "He's a little overprotective."

Otaru laughed."Just a litte? He looked like he was ready to deck me."

"Ok then, he's extreamly over protective." Keiko grinned.

Kakeru decided to break this up, NOW. "Um." Kakeru budded in. "Sorry to break this conversation up but, we have to go back to our own camp in like 20 minutes." He didn't sound the least bit sorry.

 

"Hey!" Rina Yelled. "You have to tell somebody that you're leaving!"

"Why don't you tell then that i'm leaving! The tennis match is way more important then that!"Anjii yelled back. He was way ahead of her.

"A.N.J.I.I!" --Kayla

 

 

 

 

 

"Amuro-San, are you sure you'll be alright?" Rina asked Keiko while the rest of the TUA students gathered their things.

"Sure! It's only a hike.." Keiko said. 'A very grueling hike.'

"Then you didn't hear." Rina bit her lip.

"Hmm?" Keiko started to worry. What was wrong?

"One of the groups will be crossing a river on the way back!" Keiko's jaw dropped.

"WHAT?!" She said.

"Mmhmm. You'd better make sure you're not on it." Rina warned.

 

Keiko went to find Kakeru, since he was the only one who knew that was there.

"Kakeru!" Keiko said. "I've been trying to find you!"

"Why?" He asked in a deadly tone.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked.

"Looks like our team is going to be crossing a river." Kakeru said.

"I know, I was about to--" It just sunk in. "OUR TEAM?!!?"

"Yes.." Kakeru said. "We need to get you on another team. Wet clothes often tend to cling."

Keiko glared. But she knew he was right. Under somewhat baggy clothes she'd been able to hide her figure, but now she didn't know what to do. Not to mention how uncomfortable she'd be, being in her period, and waterlogged. "How?"

"I'll talk to Shuu-san." Kakeru said. Keiko grumbled. She knew he could get Obari-sama to agree to it. How come SHE couldn't have Obari wrapped around HER little finger? Kakeru walked off.

'I hope this works.' She thought. While she waited for Kakeru, Otaru showed up.

"Sempai, I have a question.." He blushed.

"What?"

"Umm.."

"What???"

"Uhh.." He blushed more. "Nevermind, it's stupid."

"WHAT?!" She said. 'Curiosity killed the cat.' She thought. 'I WANT TO KNOW!!'

"Umm.. Could you ask Keiko.." He was bright red again. Keiko loved to watch him blush.

"Hmm?" She asked.

"I mean, because you see her more often than I do, it seems.. And you know her better.."

Otaru blushed more. "Would you ask her if she will go to the dance with me?"

Keiko was now the one to blush. "I'll ask her." She answered. 'She already knows...'

"Thanks!" Otaru said happily.

'What?! Am I actually thinking of going to the dance with him? I don't want to say no, but do I want to say yes? And what about Kakeru? HEY! How'd HE get in my mind?! I can't believe this. I don't even know if Kakeru's going to ask me. My other alternative is going as Kei and.. Being pestered by Mai.. That's it. I'm saying yes. It doesn't have to be a date, right? It's just a way to keep Mai away from me. Kakeru will understand, wont he? I'm actually doing him a FAVOR. Then he wont have to take me. What if he wants to take me? Should I go with him instead? Go with Kakeru? When did I start thinking THESE thoughts?!'

Keiko was so confused.

"Earth to Sempai." Otaru said. "You've been staring off into space for about 3 minutes now."

"I'm sure she'd love to go with you." She said. 'WAIT!! AM I SAYING YES?!?!!? What about Kakeru?! I'm so confused. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!'

"O-okay." Otaru blushed insanely. 'She would want to go with me?! Really?!?!' "Thanks, Sempai!!"

She ran off like she was going to go ask 'Keiko', but she was really thinking. 'WHAT NOW?! I don't even know if Kakeru is going to ask me! I don't want to go as Kei, and I certainly don't want to be the geek going alone..'

 

Otaru waited a few minutes, and saw Kei running back towards him.

"She'd love to.."

 

Kakeru walked towards Keiko. 'I wonder if now's a good time..' He thought.

"So???" Keiko inquired.

"Yep. You are in group A with Otaru." Kakeru said. 'Great. Isn't that just perfect.' He thought.

"Oh. Umm... Okay.." She blushed.

"So, we have a few minutes before we have to leave.." Kakeru said. "I've been meaning to.. I've been WANTING to ask you something."

'Please don't be what I think it is, PLEASE don't be what I think it is.' She thought. "What?"

"Umm... I was wondering, or rather, hoping that.. I mean because it would be safer, because you don't want to blow your cover, and.." Kakeru blushed almost as much as Otaru did! 'JUST SAY IT!' He thought. "Would you go to the dance with me?"

"Oh.." She wanted to slap herself. 'WHY'D YOU SAY YES?! YOU KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!! IDIOT!!' She felt inside her chest get heavy. "The thing is..."

Kakeru closed his eyes. He really didn't want to be here now. He knew she was going to turn him down. 'It was too soon..' He thought.

"Otaru already asked me." She said, as she looked away from him. Kakeru's heart sank.

'With Otaru?!' Kakeru frowned at her, and stomped off. Keiko wanted to cry. She didn't want to hurt Kakeru. She also didn't want to hurt Otaru. After they got back to the camp, she would explain. She had to make things right. She WANTED to make things right with Kakeru. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Unicorn Academy students! Into your groups!"

The students of TUA gathered where Obari directed them, all ready and prepared with their packs and gear. Keiko trudged drearily toward the back of the line, where she spotted Otaru and Jiro--for once--chatting happily with eachother. Keiko, without having to listen in, almost instantly knew that their chatter was about the dance. She approached them, and both boys grinned at her.

"So, Fujishige," Jiro said, "Who're you going to the dance with, huh?"

Keiko stopped dead. "M-me?" she stared at the two blankly. What could she say? "Um..."

"You HAVE gotten a date for the dance," Jiro said expectantly, "HAVEN'T you?"

Keiko nodded feverishly. "Oh, of COURSE!" she laughed, "I'm just... er... keeping it a secret! That's all!"

Keiko was grateful for Obari's sudden command to assemble into groups; she didn't want anymore discussion about the dance, if she could avoid it.

"C'mon, Fujishige," Jiro said, noticing Keiko slowly trailing behind Otaru as he left for group A. "He said get into our groups; you're with us."

Keiko's eyes went wide. "Oh, but--"

"Come on!" Jiro suddenly grabbed Keiko by the wrist, pulling her to the middle of the line of group B students. She tugged her arm in protest.

"Wait! You don't understand! I'm supposed to--"

"You're just trying to get out of crossing that river, aren't you?" Jiro asked scathingly, "Well, your excuses aren't gonna work this time."

"But, they're not excuses! I'm supposed--"

"It's MY JOB as student president to make sure that do-nothings like YOU, Fujishige," Jiro said menacingly as he drug Keiko forward, "don't manage to weasel their way out of every challenge that is set in front of them."

Keiko found herself unable to protest. She allowed herself to be dragged away, gazing longingly at group A, who were slowly dissappearing down the trail she had come up from.

 

Only once the other group was out of sight did Jiro let go of her wrist. He gave her a warning glance, but he really needn't have worried that Keiko would go back with the other group. By the time they had entered another forest, they were on another trail completely unfamiliar to Keiko--she wouldn't dare run away, and risk getting lost again.

 

She managed to wander to the back of the line, at least out of Jiro's demeaning eye-shot. Walking slowly backwards, Keiko suddenly tripped and fell backwards, taking (to her embarrassment) over half of the line along with her. Menacing stares followed her as she drifted slowly to the very back of the line, allowing herself to become the last in line.

 

Something snagged her elbow. As she turned her head, she was not surprised to see Kakeru there, looking deadly.

"I got you in the other group," he said, staring at Keiko with icy eyes. "Why aren't you with them?"

With a sneer, Keiko pointed to Jiro at the front of the line. "Him." she stated simply, hoping that Kakeru would understand that is wasn't her fault. He merely nodded and turned away.

"What's YOUR problem?" Keiko asked, raising an eyebrow. Kakeru "hmph"-ed.

"If you don't know, I'm not gonna tell you."

Keiko became automatically irritated.

"Oh, don't you start your pouting!" she commanded bitterly. Kakeru hastily folded his arms behind his head and focused his gaze to the side of the trail.

"How're you planning to cross the river?" he asked suddenly, taking Keiko by surprise, having been expecting some bitter retort.

"I... don't know..." she realized suddenly. How WAS she going to cross the river? Perhaps she could avoid it completely... and recieve a lecture from Jiro. Not worth it, she noted disgustedly.

"Well, we'll just have to see when it comes..." Kakeru said as brightly as possible, and Keiko raised her eyebrows.

"We?"

Kakeru nodded. "Yeah. You n' me." --TD

 

 

 

 

 

'How could she go with Otaru?' Kakeru thought. 'And now I'm going to get back to the camp, and we're going to be in the same tent... I wonder if I can bunk with someone else. Would I do that to her just because I'm mad at her? No, I can't be the one who gets her cover blown.'

The scenery was wonderful on this trail. If not for the river, Keiko would have prefered going this way. How could Group A stand the cliffs they would face on the trail Keiko previously journeyed on! She hoped this one didn't have any.. The good thing about being here, is now she felt uneasy around Otaru, maybe if she kept her distance, it wouldn't feel so wierd. 'I CAN'T BELIEVE I'm going to the dance with OTARU! OTARU! My BEST FRIEND!! How could I have said yes??! Do I even like him that way? If I knew Kakeru was going to ask me, would I still have said yes? Now I find myself thinking of Kakeru that way aswell. When did everything get all screwed up?! Oh yes, on this 'Great Adventure'. If I had been allowed to stay home during this little camping trip, none of this would have happened!! But NOOO, they have to have EVERYONE go.' Keiko's serious thoughts turned into sulking. 'Why did I have to go?! Why'd I have to cross a RIVER, and WHY DID EVERYTHING MESS UP?!'

Group A was led by Obari, so she STILL couldn't swoon over him, but that was all for the best. Kakeru chuckled. He looked over at a pouting Keiko. But he didn't feel like laughing.

'I made a fool of myself.' He thought. 'I should never had asked her. But I had to. I had to know.. Man! I wanted to go with her so badly!'

 

Otaru smiled, as he watched the beautiful trees. He didn't know why Sempai fussed so much when he went through this trail. He breathed in the warm crisp air. Otaru was more than his chipper self. Just knowing Amuro Keiko wanted to go out with him, such a beautiful, funny girl. Little did he know what this 'beautiful, funny girl' was doing right now..

 

"I can't!!" Keiko screamed, when she saw the water.

"It's very calm, you can just walk across it." Jiro said.

"No!! It's too deep!!" She cried.

"Don't be such a baby, Fujishige-Kun!!" Jiro pushed her towards the edge of the water... --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

"WAGH!" Keiko screeched as she fell toward the water, closing her eyes and preparing herself for the inevitable fall, ready to be swept away by the giant current of the river--

Then she opened her eyes. She blinked and looked around to find herself in ankle-deep water. She stood and looked a Jiro, who was almost doubling over with silent laughter.

"I thought we were gonna be going through deep water!" she stated irritatedly. Jiro smirked incredulously at her.

"Are you KIDDING?" he laughed, causing Keiko's face to go pink. "And risk students sueing the school 'cause they got hypothermia? No way!"

Keiko flushed.  --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

Keiko, majorly annoyed, looked up and saw that not only Jiro, who appeared to be having some sort of seizure, was laughing at her, but the whole group seemed to think it was amusing. Kakeru was no exception.

/Man, this is so not good for my mood./ she thought, as she looked daggers at Kakeru.

/Now I'm glad I'm not going to the dance with that jerk!/

She walked stiffly up to the other side of the river, where the rest of the group had already assembled, and pushed her way rudely up to Kakeru. "I don't know what you think is so funny!" she pouted. "Why didn't YOU find out beforehand what the river was going to be like? You would have if you really cared for me!" She walked past him, looking as if he had committed an unpardonable crime against her.

"Come on, Keiko!" he protested, suddenly looking as though he didn't find anything funny about the situation. "What was I supposed to do? I tried to help you..."

"Oh sure, you tried!" She whirled around to face him, her eyes suddenly brimming with tears. "I bet you knew all along that I could get across that river! I bet you, ::sniffsniff:: didn't WANT me to be with you!"

"Keiko, be reasonable!"

"I WON'T be reasonable, and I don't HAVE to be reasonable! There's nobody at this camp who cares for me..." she said, still looking tearful, "except Otaru! HE would never do this to me! HE cares for me! He even worried about me when I was in that cave with YOU..."

"Keiko..." Kakeru said, catching the obvious flaws in that argument, "Otaru wasn't worried about YOU. He was worried about 'Fujishige Kei', his best friend!"

"Don't talk to me!" she said, turning her back to him. "You could TRY to make me feel better, instead of, ::sniffsniff:: ARGUING with me! I can't take it!"

 

As she stomped away, Kakeru collapsed onto a handy stump. /Why me?/ he wondered.

/Why do I have to deal with an over-sensitive pms-ing teenager? Why do I LIKE this over-sensitive pms-ing teenager?/ He got up, having manfully summoned up the energy to get on with this grueling hike.

--Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

The moon was just peeking out by the time the students of the Unicorn Academy reached their camp again. Keiko, who was tired, sore, and feeling all-around unpleasent, stared at her camp area, and believed, for a moment, that she had never seen anything quite like it. She could have cried with joy, at that moment.

 

Almost jumping with joy (even though she was still cramping), Keiko sped toward her tent, which had still been set up while she was gone, as if waiting for her to come back. She crawled in excitedly before flopping down on her fluffy sleeping bag, glad for a comfort on her aching back.

Before she could drift off to sleep, however, Kakeru poked his head in the tent.

"Hey," he mumbled, pushing Keiko in the shoulder to keep her from falling asleep. "There's gonna be a short campfire before everybody goes to bed. Get up!"

Keiko blinked tiredly. "Campfire?"

Kakeru nodded. "Yeah; campfire. They're gonna take roll to make sure nobody died or got lost on the hike or anything," Keiko whinced. "Then we're gonna do normal camping stuff. Like, roasting marshmallows and stories and everthing. Really stupid, I think, but it's tradition.

"Now, let's go."

Kakeru grabbed her roughly by the arm. Keiko stayed planted to her sleeping bag. Kakeru gave a long, drawn-out sigh. "We'll be making s'mores!" he tried to say brightly, as if this was something special. He was surprised when Keiko sat up.

"As in, S'MORES s'mores?" she looked expectant. "Like, with chocolate?"

Kakeru nodded cautiously. Keiko grinned greedily, before nearly bowling Kakeru over in her hurried attempt at scrambling out of the tent.

"CHOCOLATE! MINE!"

Kakeru's eyebrow twitched as he watched her scamper toward a crowd of students who were assembling in a circle around a newly lit fire. He brushed himself off, leaving his pack inside the tent, and headed off to join the group. --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

Keiko sat impatiently waiting to get her hands on the chocolate. Kakeru prefered to sit as far away from Keiko as possible. He was still upset that she turned him down. One of the campers handed Keiko a stick for roasting marshmallows. Keiko wanted to say, 'A STICK?! I DON'T WANT A STICK!! I WANT CHOCOLATE! NOW!!!!!' but she held back. Otaru walked up and sat down beside her, with a s'more in his hands.

"Mmmm.." He said.

Her eyes got big and watery. "Otaru..." They were glued on the chocolate in his hand.

"You can get one over there." He pointed, as he moved his own farther away from Keiko.

"Thank you!" She smiled, as she darted towards where the s'mores were being made.

"He must really like his s'mores..." Otaru blinked.

 

When Keiko returned with a handfull of gooey s'mores, she was pouting.

"What's wrong?" Otaru asked.

"They said 5 was enough.." She sulked. Otaru blinked, then laughed.

"You're strange, Sempai." He casually moved in his hand to take one of her five melting s'mores. She pulled them far away from him, and growled.

"Don't even think about it." She snarled. She snapped at his hand, which he jerked away.

"Ack! Down, Sempai!" He said.

After a couple minutes, Jiro stood up. "Okay everyone, time for scary stories." He grinned evilly.

 

After the campfire, Kakeru went to their tent.

"That was fun!" Otaru said cheerfully.

"Yeah.." Keiko replied. "..Fun.."

"What's wrong. Are you SCARED??" Otaru put emphasis on the last word, and wave his hands around.

"Don't be stupid! Of course I'm not.." She said. She turned around to go to the tent, and she felt something on her shoulder. Her face went blue and she screamed.

"See? I knew it!" Otaru laughed, his hand still on her shoulder. Keiko narrowed her eyes at him.

"Good night.." She said, as she walked off.

"G'Night, Sempai!" Otaru called to her. "Make sure you don't get killed by a wandering dead axeman or something!"

 

Keiko sighed. It was finally time for bed. She opened the tent and crawled inside. She covered her blanket over her head. 'It was all a story, it was all a story, it was all a story..' She told herself. Her hormones and emotions were causing an anxiety attack(been there!), and she couldn't get to sleep. It also didn't help she just heard the scariest story of her life. 'It was all a story, it was all a story--' She felt someone, or something, tap her arm. "AH!!" she screamed. Kakeru stood over her.

"WHAT IS IT?!" Keiko tried to catch her breath.

"Nothing.. Nevermind.." He said, as he lay back down.

 

Later that night, Kakeru was thinking. 'What was I thinking? I'm glad I didn't say what I was going to. In her position, I'm sure she wouldn't want to hear 'I love you' right now..'

"Kakeru..." He heard a whimpering. He sighed.

"Yes?"

"I can't sleep." She sobbed.

"Try."

"I can't!"

"Do it anyway."

"I CAN'T!"

"Just close your eyes, and go to sleep. I'm here.. Everythings fine." Kakeru said. 'I'm here..' He repeated in his mind. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kakeru propped his head upon his hand, which, in turn, was supported by his elbow on the hard tent floor. Ever since Keiko had managed to fall asleep, he'd find himself unable to stop watching her.

/She looks so harmless when she's asleep.../ he thought to himself as he brushed some hair from his eyes. /If only she could look this way all the time.../

 

He layed his head back down on his pillow, unable to get into a comfortable position. His mind drifted endlessly, not allowing him to even close his eyes. He just lay there, hands behind his head, and, without realizing it, humming to himself.

 

Keiko stirred beside him, and he ceased his humming, only just realizing that he was doing it. She rolled over onto her back, and her brows furrowed in discomfort. Kakeru watched her with interest.  /Must be having a nightmare.../ he thought blankly, noticing the cold sweat embedded upon her forehead. --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

"uhh... noooo..." This was Keiko, murmuring in her sleep. Kakeru noticed this, and sat up in alarm. /What should I do?/ he wondered. /Is it a good idea to wake her up?/

Before he decided to do anything, Keiko sat up with a start, eyes wide. "Kakeru... I don't think that chocolate and scary ghost stories are a good combination." She shivered, and without realizing it moved closer to him.

Outwardly calm, but inwardly screaming with joy, Kakeru patted her hand to comfort her.

"Don't worry about it." he said soothingly. "Just try to get back to sleep, and if you get scared, I'll be here." How he longed to say more to her. He would have, if he was sure of Keiko's reaction...

"'Kay," she murmered sleepily, falling back on her pillow, Kakeru's hand still patting her own. "G'night."

"'Night," he said listlessly, noticing the way her hand folded under her pillow. Still unable to fall asleep himself, he lay there, thinking.

/This is strange, these feeling I have for Keiko. And she isn't even going to the dance with me.../

Thoughts suddenly shifting to the person she WAS going with... /Otaru is one lucky boy. I wonder if he fully appreciates that fact?/  His eyes widened, as he is thinking of something alarming. /Is it possible that Otaru likes Keiko as much as I do? CAN he? But... that would mean... please don't let it come to where Keiko has to choose between us!/

 

/Would she choose me?/ --Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

Otaru sat and watched the campfire go out. What once was seemingly a raging inferno became a pile of embers and burnt wood. The smoky smell filled his lungs, and he watched the tiny lighted ashes burn out. His eyes glowed with the last peices of wood that were burning. He sat there, watching, thinking. 'I don't understand this..' He closed his eyes. 'The way I'm feeling.. I don't even know her! This is crazy. I know nothing about her, yet... I can't shake this feeling I know her perfectly. And I can't get her out of my mind...'

 

Kakeru furrowed his brow. It was strange to think such a nice peaceful young man such as Chinen could be the biggest obstacle in his happiness with Keiko. 

'OUR HAPPINESS?! Did I just think that?!' Kakeru's face turned bright pink. 'I just can't get her out of my mind!'

 

That morning at breakfast.

"Look Otaru, they're serving your favorite. Cold eggs." Keiko wrinkled her nose and Otaru laughed.

Kakeru narrowed his eyes at Otaru, and folded his arms. 'Am I being bitter?' He thought.

"So, Kakeru-Kun, who are you going to the dance with?" Otaru asked cheerfully. Kakeru didn't answer, and Keiko lowered her head.

'Don't ask him that!' She scolded Otaru in her head. 'Oh great, I hope he doesn't say..'

Kakeru sighed, and put on a fake smile. "I was going to ask Amuro-San, but you beat me to her." He said.

'I knew it..' Otaru thought. "Umm, well, I.." He sweatdropped.

"You snooze you lose!" Keiko smiled nervously, trying to cut the obvious tension between them. Kakeru glared at her.

'She's mocking me.' He thought.

"So, see any ghosts or killers last night?" Otaru teased.

"Nope. You?" Keiko smiled.

Kakeru sighed. 'How can she stand him?' He thought. Of course, before he knew Otaru was competition, he'd thought he was a pretty nice guy. But now.. Without a word, Kakeru left for the tents.

"What's wrong with him?" Otaru asked.

"Nothing.." Keiko looked at him sympathetically, ask he walked off.

"Love can do crazy things to a guy." Otaru blurted out. They both blushed.

"Love???" Keiko's eyes were wide.

"I mean, I only assumed..." He started to studder again. "B-because.. You know, he likes K-keiko, right? And, I mean, what guy wouldn't.." He started blushing furiously.

Keiko was as red as a tomato. And Otaru was even MORE red. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

Staci gave an uncharacteristic shriek of unhappiness. Her friend at the girls' camp site rushed over, concerned. Well, concerned, but with a pretty good idea of what happened.

"Were you pranked?" Aika asked.

"No." Staci murmered, looking downtrodden

"The walkie talkies aren't working, right?" Naoki guessed.

"No." Staci sniffed.

"Well then, what is it?" Cried Aika.

"My dress isn't in my bag! I hung it up in the bus on the way here so that it wouldn't get wrinkled. And I guess with thinking about how to keep the boys from pranking and ruining everything, I- I forgot it."

"Ah, poor Staci!" Naoki murmered, putting her arm around the girl's shoulder, "It'll be okay."

"How?" Staci eyebrows tilted, framing paniced eyes, her chin quivered once. To anyone else, this might have seemed to be a light reaction, but for someone who was as together as Staci, it was the equivilent of a wail of horror, "I don't have anything else I could wear. I mean, I've been spending all this time trying to keep everything for the dance, well, perfect."

"Hey, no problem!" Aika chirped, "Naoki can sew better then anyone else I know. She'll MAKE you a dress!"

"Huh? Out of WHAT?" The other two girls chorused.

"Um..." Aika made a scan of they're surroundings.

Trees, grass, bushes, Mai's tent,

 

Mai's tent...

 

Mai had just gotten there, so her tent was much nicer then everyone elses. Also, having more time to prepare, she'd bought her own tent instead of using the one that the schools provided. It was a dark maroon, heavy fabric, but with that velvety look that some water resistent matirials had.

Still, it *was* someone's tent. Nobody deserved to have their tent whisked away to make clothing without being asked first!

 

Well, almost nobody.

 

The three girls looked at each other. They grinned. -- Harkly

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kakeru marched into the woods, feeling furious with himself. Nothing was going the way he wanted. Nothing ever did, he noted, as he stopped near a tree. He immediately fell backwards onto the ground, lying on his back and panting.

/Why do I have to care so much?/ he questioned himself inwardly, gritting his teeth. In the past few days, he had gained and experienced so many new feelings... It confused him and made him angry. He sat up abruptly, rustling the leaves around him, and smashed a fist against the hard tree near him.

"Why do I have to care?!" he asked the air furiously, continually pounding his fist against the hard tree bark until, almost without his noticing, his fist began to bleed. He didn't care. He merely wiped the fresh blood onto his shirt before falling onto his back again, and groaning audibly.

Then he noticed it. Someone was standing over him, wearing a blank expression on his pale face. Kakeru bolted up onto his feet, and stared Otaru straight in the eyes.

"Otaru!" he exclaimed, his face contorting with anger, "What're you--?"

Otaru smiled suddenly, and Kakeru's words lodged in his throat. What was he doing...?

Otaru closed his eyes, not wanting to look at the blank, yet drawling expression on Kakeru's face. His smile changed to one of irony.

"You..." he muttered, barely audible, "You really love her, don't you...?"

Kakeru suddenly found himself unable to breathe. That was not what he had been expecting.

"I..." Kakeru's voice quivered. He knew who Otaru meant. He had to say something, or Otaru would... he didn't know. He didn't want to think about it. He swallowed hard, and opened his mouth.

"Yeah. I do." --TD

 

 

 

 

 

Kakeru knew the feeling was mutual. He saw it in Otaru's expression. The same expression he saw when he questioned his feelings about Keiko, himself. 

Otaru knew he had no right to feel this way about Keiko. He barely knew her! Kakeru most likely knew her longer, too. But something about his feelings just felt right.

"I.." Otaru looked at the ground. He felt his chest tighten. "How does she feel.. About you?"

".." Kakeru thought a moment. He really didn't know. This could be his chance though, he could say she loved him too. Then Otaru would.. No. That wouldn't be right. "..I don't know.."

Otaru felt a pain, but at the same time happiness. 'Is it wrong for me to hope?' He thought. He couldn't look Kakeru in the eye. He felt such resentment towards him now. Something he'd never felt before.

"How did you know?" Kakeru asked. 'Was it that obvious?'

"It was easy to tell.." He smiled.

"You feel the same way.." Kakeru hoped the answer would be a no.. So badly, he hoped..

"..Well.. Yes.." Otaru blushed. Kakeru's heart sank. "I know I have no right to.." Otaru's eyes stung. "..To feel the way I do.. You've probably known her and loved her for so long.. I've only know her for three days..." Otaru felt tears well up in his eyes, but he wouldn't allow himself to cry. Not if front of Kakeru.

Kakeru could tell he was hurting. "Everyone has a right to their feelings. You can't choose who you love. It doesn't work that way." What was he doing?! How could he feel sypmathy for Otaru?! "I could never ask you to step aside for me.. I know you couldn't either, so I'll do it for you.. I'm going to step aside." Kakeru could barely say the last words. Otaru looked at him, shocked.

"I couldn't ask you to--" He started. Kakeru stepped closer to him.

"If you hurt her.." He didn't want to finish the rest. He turned around and walked towards the camp, and went inside his tent, leaving Otaru standing there. Even though Kakeru didn't finish his last sentence, Otaru knew what he was going to say. 'I would never hurt her...' He thought. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

Keiko found herself eating dinner alone that night. She wasn't sure why. In fact, she hadn't even seen Kakeru since that morning, and Otaru said he had to go do something important. So there she sat, not knowing that she was the reason her friends avoided her this night.

 

Then night came, and still no sight of Kakeru, though she had seen Otaru, once that evening. He had greeted her blankly before telling her he needed to go do something, and off he went. Keiko was left bewildered before she stalked toward her tent, tired, irritable, and confused.

Zipping open the flap, she crawled in, unaware that another presence was there until they stepped quietly around her and out of the tent.

"Kakeru!" Keiko gasped, "Where WERE you all day?"

Kakeru stood with his hands on his hips, looking up at the clear sky.

"Hurry up and change," he said, a strange coldness in his voice that made Keiko shiver. Or perhaps it was the sudden breeze that had run through the camp; she didn't know. She zipped up her tent and went through the normal night ritual before unzipping it again to let Kakeru know that it was okay to come back in.

 

He paused for a moment before crawling back in, Keiko watching him with interest.

"You... Okay?" she asked cautiously. Kakeru shook his head and crawled in, flopping down on his sleeping bag and not bothering to cover himself. Keiko continued to observe him, her brows furrowed.

"Kakeru, if there's something wrong--"

"Nothing's wrong," Kakeru mumbled hurriedly, interrupting Keiko. She frowned at him, and crawled warily into her sleeping bag. What could be wrong...?

There was an awkward silence between the two, in which they simply watched eachother, each curious about the other. Then Kakeru groaned, and turned over on his side so his back was facing Keiko. She became quickly irritated.

"Kakeru, you tell me right--" Keiko began to say, but was again interrupted.

"Do you love Otaru?"

Keiko's jaw dropped. "Why?" is all she managed to say, in her sudden confusion. She hated how unpredictable Kakeru was! And now he had again managed to leave her stupid and numb... Kakeru didn't turn to face her as he spoke.

"Do you love Otaru?" he repeated sternly. Keiko took on the defensive.

"Why should I answer you, huh?" she asked, propping herself onto her elbow. "What does it matter to you--"

Kakeru sat up urgently, and stared at her pleadingly. He grabbed her roughly by the shoulders and stared into her eyes--straight into her, Keiko noted with a shiver. His gaze was almost menacing, yet... she didn't know. She couldn't think straight, when he looked at her...

"Please, Keiko..." he whispered pleadingly. "Do you love Otaru..? Tell me..."

Keiko suddenly found herself unable to breathe. Under Kakeru's intense gaze, it was almost impossible to think, much less breathe.

"I... I-I..." she breathed, stuttering.

Suddenly, and much to Keiko's relief and curiousity, Kakeru looked down and closed his eyes, ceasing his intent gaze. Keiko remembered to breathe.

"I'm sorry..." Kakeru breathed, barely audible. "It's none of my business..." He crawled back into his sleeping bag, and rolled over so he was not facing Keiko. Keiko, too confused and breathless to say anything, did likewise, and soon found herself in a deep and troubled sleep.

 

Kakeru, however, lay awake, as he so often did when he was troubled with thoughts. He allowed the thoughts to drift listlessly through his mind, causing his head and body to become dizzy and disoriented. He was glad he wasn't standing upright; in his state, he would surely fall over, dead. Kakeru thought that being dead about then probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Kakeru turned over onto his back once he was sure that Keiko was asleep. He didn't feel like talking to her just then, though his heart longed to. /I sound so corny.../ Kakeru thought fleetingly as he perched on his elbow, watching Keiko in her uncomfortable sleep.

/I wonder what she dreams about.../ Kakeru asked his racing mind. Abruptly, Keiko moaned and rolled over in her sleep, apprantly having a nightmare, of some kind...

Absently, Kakeru reached out with a quivering hand, and stroked back a few loose strands of auburn hair from Keiko's pale face. Kakeru became aware of how cold her skin was, compared to his own warm hands, and he drew back.

But the helpless look on the girl's face led him closer to her. He wanted so badly to help her out of her troubled sleep...

He reached, once more, to push strands of hair away from Keiko's face, also, unknowlingly, drawing his face closer as well.

"It's okay..." He whispered inaudibly, almost as if to reassure himself. "I'm here..."

All the sense Kakeru had left had suddenly been numbed. Stupidly, he allowed his face to draw closer to the auburn-haired girl's. He could feel her unsteady breath, as his own breath grew shallow.  His lips were a mere needle's width away from Keiko's when he flung back, shocked at himself. How could he have almost done something so stupid...?

Shaking uncontrollably, Kakeru lifted himself up, quietly unzipped the tent, and stepped outside. He needed to get away from Keiko...

"Before I do something stupid..." he told himself as he walked aimlessly toward the forest.  --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Keiko woke up the next morning, she was aware of feeling very... sad. That's it. Sad when she looked at Kakeru lying across from her, and angry, too. She was mad at this whole dang mess! Why did the boys have to make things so complicated? All she wanted to do was make herself look pretty, go have some fun at the dance, and Kakeru had to ruin it by making her feel sorry for him!

 

But then... she realized that she probably wasn't being fair to Kakeru. He couldn't help what he was feeling, right? And for HER, nontheless. For a moment she felt a happy glow inside her, but that too was ruined when she thought of Otaru. Did he REALLY like HER? But... he had only known her for three days! She wouldn't doubt it, the way he had talked about her when he was around 'Fujishige Kei'.

She had to get some air.

She quickly made herself look like Kei, and stepped outside. Kakeru, thankfully, hadn't woken up. She started walking briskly toward the woods, deeply breathing in the fresh air that cleared her head... but not for long.

"Otaru!"

"Sempai!"

"What are you doing out here so early?" He said this cheerfully, but she noticed a feeling of deep sadness behind his sunny exterior. /Not him, too!/ she moaned. --Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I could ask you that same question!" Keiko replied in a would-be cheerful voice.

"Um, you know, just getting some air."

"Yeah, same here..." /Think of something else to say!/ she demanded herself fiercely. /He doesn't know you're Keiko, he thinks you're Kei! Act like it!/

"So, looking forward to the dance?" she said brightly. /Whywhywhy did you bring that up? STUPID!!/

"Yeah." Otaru responded shortly. "I would be more if... Kei?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think that Keiko..." he blushed furiously... "loves me?"

/LOVE?? What in the world is he talking about? What could've brought that question on?/

"Why do you ask?"

"Well... oh, this is embarrassing... I heard that Kakeru asked her too, right after I did. And I was just wondering..." his voice trailed off.

/Ooh noooo./ Keiko moaned in her head. Out loud, she said: "If she's going with you and not Kakeru, why are you worried about it?"

"Normally I wouldn't, but, Kakeru loves her too." he said quietly.

/Kakeru loves her TOO! Kakeru... and Otaru... they both LOVE me?/ "Uuhh... oh....."

"Sempai? What's the matter?"

"Nothing!" she said quickly. "Well, I'm sure that she likes you a LOT."

"She LIKES me?" Otaru looked just vaguely disappointed. "How do you think she feels about Kakeru?"

/How does he expect me to answer that?!/ "Why would I know?"

"Well... you've known her for a long time..." He started to blush again. "I just figured that she might talk to you about this."

"Ok then. I know that she likes Kakeru too, although MAYBE..." she worded this carefully... "not as much as you."

"That's... good." He smiled. "Not that I don't feel sorry for Kakeru, or anything, but... how can I help feeling happy when I found out Keiko actually cares for me!"

"Yeah. I understand."  --Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

"Well, I've decided not to go." Keiko said. "I mean, I have no one to go with, and I'm not really into the whole dance thing.."

"Oh, come on! It'll be a lot of fun!" Otaru smiled.

"I'm sure." Keiko smiled. "But I don't feel well.. No, I think I'm going to stay home."

"Okay." Otaru smiled.

 

Kakeru couldn't wait to get back to the Academy. With his violin, and the music hall, and school, he would have plenty to keep him busy. 'Should I even bother to go? If I don't go she's going to know I didn't because of her, and then I'll look so stupid, because I didn't go just because of her. I'm going to go. I'll prove to her that I'm mature.'

 

Otaru sighed.. 'I can't believe I'm so nervous! This is crazy.. I'm being silly.. But I want it all to be perfect..'

He took a deep breath. 'Everything is going to be fine.'

 

Keiko lay out her dress, which she magically got even though she didn't know about the dance. 'I can't believe I'm going to that dance, with Otaru! This is so wierd.. Yet.. I feel so excited!!'

 

Over at the girls' camp..

"Wow! This is.. It's so pretty!!" Staci marvelled at the new dress. "Naoki-San, you're a genius!"

Naoki blushed. "Thanks."

Aika smiled, as she pulled out her dress. It looked so plain compared to the masterpiece

Naoki had created. "Umm... Naoki.." She sweatdropped.

"Hmm?" Naoki smiled.

"Could you, like, fix up my dress?" Aika pleaded.

Naoki sighed. "Okay.. Hand it over."

"I hope Mai doesn't get mad that we took her tent.." Staci giggled.

"She wont find out until later. She went to the boys camp yesterday.." Aika said.

 

Keiko would wait until later to change, then no one would see Amuro Keiko coming out of Fujishige Kei's tent. Her eyes glittered as she looked at her dress. It was the perfect shade of blue. She decided to put it up, so no one would see it. After she did, she unzipped her tent, to leave, and Mai stood right in front of her.

"Hi, Kei-Kun!" Mai smiled brightly. 'This is it. The dance is a perfect place to be seen with someone. Rina WILL see me with Kei. She must!'

"Umm, hello, Mai-San.." She sweatdropped.

"Who are you going to the dance with?" Mai asked forwardly, but with her sly smile always on her face.

"What?!" Keiko blushed. 'WHAT DO I SAY?! I can't say, Oh me? I'm going with Otaru!!'

"Me? Umm.."

"Oh, so your free?" She smiled.

'Mai doesn't know when to take a hint!' Keiko sighed and nodded.

"Well, then you can go with me!" Mai winked.

"But I--"

"Don't worry! It'll be fun! I'm not taking no for an answer.." Mai continued to talk as she walked off. "Gotta go now, see you at the dance!" She blew 'him' a kiss.

"Oh no!!" Keiko gasped. 'I could just stand her up.. That would be a rude thing to do.. But not too mean for Mai.. But I've already got the reputation of a cheating boyfriend, NOW WHAT?!'

Keiko slapped her head. Tonight was going to be a long night. 'I can't believe the mess I'm in!' Keiko thought.

 

Kakeru walked towards the tent, and saw Keiko with a dress, a hair brush, lipstick, hairspray and tons of other cosmetics in her hands. "I'm going to go get ready where someone can't see me." She told him.

"I didn't ask." He said.

"I didn't ask if you asked. I'm just informing you." She said.

Kakeru waited until she left, zipped up the tent and took out his tux.

 

Keiko walked towards the forest area, when she saw Otaru, in a tuxedo, looking at the lake. 'ACK! I can't let him see me with all this in my hands!!'

She hid behind some bushes, and watched him. 'Gee, he's handsome tonight.' Right after thinking that she blushed.

"Should I even go?" She over heard him say. "I mean, I don't even know her.. But I couldn't stand her up. Even if I feel this way about her, it would be rude not to show. I just don't think I can handle being near her so long without telling her.. That I love her.."

Keiko turned bright red. 'I can't believe this!! When did my life turn into a soap opera?!' She left to get dressed. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Keiko smiled at herself through the tiny compact mirror she had brought along. She was satisfied with how she looked, so she closed the mirror and made her way back to the camp.

 

She was surprised at the number of students already parading around the camp. There were a number of TUA students in their tuxes, showing off their dates from the Phoenix School to their friends. There were large groups of girls chattering excitedly here and there, as well as groups of boys, looking nonchalant as they watched the girls from a distance.

 

All in all, Keiko observed as she stalked inconspicuously toward her tent, EVERYONE looked nervous.

 

Keiko quickly unzipped her tent and climbed in, anxious to find Otaru and get ready to leave for the dance. She hadn't noticed Kakeru lying in there on his sleeping bag until she heard a stifled laugh. She turned to him, eyes wide. He lay there, in a not-too-formal tuxedo, grinning widely at her.

"What's so funny?" she asked. Kakeru's eyes lit up.

"So, have you heard?" he said, not really expecting an answer. "Fujishige Kei is going to the dance with Toseki Mai! What a lucky guy, huh?"

At his own comment, he burst out laughing. Keiko, feeling frustrated, put her hands on her hips.

"He's not going with her!" she protested, poking Kakeru in the chest. "He... He drowned in the lake and couldn't go with her!" she stuck out her tongue defensively.

"That's not what Mai told everyone..." he said, his voice trailing off as he sat up. Keiko's eyes went wide with sudden horror.

"She's been telling everyone that--that I--"

Kakeru cut her off. "No, not YOU, Keiko..." he smirked. "She says she's going with KEI... perhaps he'd better take his uniform with him--just in case..."

Keiko glared at him. "No way! Fujishige KEI just drown in the LAKE 'cause he didn't want to go with MAI!" her voice was filled with finality, and Kakeru stopped grinning.

There was a nervous pause before Keiko decided to voice something she had been wondering for a while.

"Who're you going with?" she asked in a hurry, afraid Kakeru would stop her in mid-sentence. Kakeru glared at the door of the tent.

"You'll see," he said, before unzipping the tent and letting himself out. Keiko watched him for a moment before returning her attention to her make up.

Kakeru was now determined to find a date. Nearby, he heard stifled giggles; a group of girls. He didn't turn to face the group, but listened, instead.

"Wow!" one of the girls said in a high, excited voice, "This is going to be great!"

The group sighed in agreement. One of the sighs was more long and drawn-out than the others.

"Oh, it's too bad you don't have a date..." the same girl said to another. Kakeru felt his mind turn in gear. This was perfect!

Gathering up what courage he had left, Kakeru casually strolled over to the giggling and sighing group of girls, and cleared his throat loudly. They turned to him, their jaws dropping in unison.

"It's the violin player!" a brown-haired girl whispered excitedly to her friend. Kakeru felt his face go red, and he prepared to lose what dignity he had left in his body.

"I..." he said, standing up as straight as he could. The girls watched him intently, anxious to hear what someone so famous had to say to them. /here goes everything.../  "I overheard that one of you didn't have a date for the dance tonight..." --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rina and Staci were talking, and watching the people getting ready.

"So is Anji going to come pick you up?" Rina asked, making small talk.

"No, He's going to meet me there.." Staci smiled. 'What a gentleman.' She thought.

"Your dress is beautiful!" Rina said, looking at her.

"Thanks. So who are you going with?" Staci looked around. When her eyes met Rina, she saw a dissapointed look on her face.

"No one..." Rina sighed. She saw Staci look behind her and smile.

"Don't give up hope." Staci said happily. "I'll see you later.." She said, walking off.

Rina found that quite peculiar. 'I wonder what got into her?' Rina then felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around, and to her surprise, Jiro stood there, blushing.

"You look very pretty tonight, Rina-San." Jiro smiled.

"Thank you.." She smiled nervously back.

"Umm.." Jiro started. "Rina-San, do you have a date for the dance?"

She smiled. "Not currently."

"Then would you consider, going with me?" Jiro blushed.

"Uh.." Rina started to blush aswell. "Sure."

He smiled.

 

Otaru paced impatiently. 'Is she here now? Maybe she decided not to go through with it. I don't-' His thoughts came to a screeching halt when he saw her, the most beautiful girl he had seen all night, walking out of a tent in a blue dress. 'There she is..' His heart jumped.

 

Keiko smiled as she saw an obviously embarrassed, blushing boy looking at her.

'Otaru. He's so funny around girls.' She thought. As she walked up to him her chest tightened. 'The point of no return.'

"H-hi.." He smiled.

"Hi." She replied.

"You look.." He stared in amazement. "Beautiful."

"Really?" She blushed.

Meanwhile Aika and Naoki were watching. "Well would'ja look at that." She smiled.

"What?" Naoki said. She finally saw something. "JIRO AND RINA?!"

"WHAT?! WHERE?!" Aika said. "That's not what I was talking about. Look." She pointed.

"Keiko-Chan.. And Otaru-kun?" Naoki put her hand on her head. "Thing just keep getting stranger!!"

Aika pouted. "Meanwhile we're going without any dates, and Staci-Chan is going with MY Anji!!"

"Your Anji?" Naoki frowned.

Keiko looked around. She saw Kakeru talking with a group of girls. She was somewhat relieved that he would find someone else to go with, but at the same time feeling jealous.

"Are you okay?" Otaru asked.

"Fine." She smiled at him. Aika and Naoki headed towards them. 'Oh, great. Not now! They're going to tease me..'

"Hi Otaru-Kun!" Naoki smiled.

"Oh, and Keiko-Chan! Really, you two are getting quite aquainted, aren't you?" Aika smiled also. Keiko gave them both a death glare.

'Don't mess this up!!' She thought. Otaru blushed furiously. "Mmhmm."

"Yes.. Well.." Otaru looked away.

"Don't worry. We're leaving now." Aika grinned impishly. "Have her home by 10!"

Otaru and Keiko blushed.

"And behave, you two." Naoki added. The giggling girls walked away.

Otaru blushed again, then realized something in his hand. "Oh, yeah.." He held it up.

Keiko smiled. In his hand was a red rose. "Thank you." --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Keiko felt odd, her arm wrapped around Otaru's. At first she thought she was Kei still and she wasn't supossed to do that, but then she had to remind herself she was a girl now and girl's did that kind of thing. But still, the whole "Normally I wouldn't, but, Kakeru loves her too." thing Otaru said to her...no...kei earlier was on her mind.

 

Otaru wasn't as clueless as we fangirls often portray him as, (lol, really, we do all the time) He noticed something was bugging keiko as they walked to where the dance was being held, (let's just say it's a 10 minute walk? ^^;; I can do whatever I want with this right now, BLEH!) and he looked down at her face worriedly, he eyes seemed watery, and her lips her closed tightly. 'Maybe she wishes she was with Kakeru? Maybe she doesn't like me as much as Sempai said....I wish I could break the silence somehow...' and just then, thanks to my evilness, otaru tripped on a root cuz he was too busy watching Keiko to watch where he was going. He fell foreward and dragged keiko with him. "Ack!"

"Yeep!!" (gotta love yeep)

**falling scene happens**

Keiko got up from where she partially fell on Otaru and started giggling. Otaru pulled himself up and brushed the front of his tux off, starting to laugh with keiko before helping her up, luckly they weren't too covered with dirt and keiko's hair and makeup were still perfect so after quite a bit of laughing and brushing themselves off they started walking again, but it was anything but silent.

"When I met Sempai? Well, I sort of ran him over..." Otaru blushed slightly at Keiko's giggle. "No, seriously, I knocked him down in the boys bathroom when I was...uhm..."

'Should I tell her about Koji and Jiro? no...' "In a Hurry."

"Oh I see" Keiko tried to keep a smile on her face, but she knew he didn't want to tell what really happened, and she was fine with it, it prolly would have ruined the cheerful mood they're in now anyway.

"When did you meet Sempai?" Otaru chirped.

"Well...uhm.." Keiko turned pink, but hoped he wouldn't notice 'What am I supossed to say?' "I was in Preschool and...There were these boys that always picked on me, Kei-chan always tried to protect me from them..."

"Sempai's really...a..a good guy isn't he?" Otaru Stuttered, his mind racing with zillions of thoughts 'Does she like Sempai? was that why she was so quiet??'

"Yeah, he's like a sort of...brother to me I guess..." Keiko wasn't sure why the silence had set back in again, but they finally arived and it didn't matter.

She looked up at him, eyes shining. 'My first date!! ...I still feel guilty though...Kakeru and...Mai...BLEH! I don't care about Mai!! She'll be stood up and she'll have to live with it!!'

Otaru returned the gaze and noticed how Keiko's eyes...reminded him so much of Kei and began blushing again at the thought. "S..Shall we go in?"

Keiko nodded and they merrily went off into the dance... --LaNnY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Otaru and Keiko stepped in, and Keiko's eyes opened wide. The place was decorated with flowers and lights. Girls in beautiful dresses and guys in tuxs were everywhere. Otaru smiled at the expression on Keiko's face. Everyone looked so happy, except for Staci, who stood by the punch table, alone.

"Will you excuse me a second, Otaru?" Keiko asked. Otaru nodded, and she walked over to Staci. "Hey, what's up?"

"I go through all this trouble and Anji is LATE!" Staci pouted.

"One thing you should know about my brother. Punctual is not in his dictionary. He'll be here, don't worry!" Keiko smiled.

'He better be.' Staci thought. "I hope so."

Keiko walked over to Otaru, meanwhile Staci spotted Mai, who looked somewhat  dissapointed. Although, knowing Mai, she would find herself another date pretty fast.

 

Keiko listen to the music play.

"Care to dance?" Otaru asked as he blushed.

"Love to!" She smiled. Otaru and Keiko got out onto the floor, and Otaru hesitated. A slow song was playing. He blushed furiously, and she stood there looking at him.

'Maybe he needs some help.' She thought. She walked closer and put her arms around him. He blushed more, then did the same.

 

Kakeru, who stood in a corner while his date talked to her friends, watched the two with close to tearful eyes. 'Darnit.. I wish I was with her now..' He closed his eyes. 'Save the last dance for me, Keiko.' He thought. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 Otaru listened to the music. He wished the song would play on forever so he could hold Keiko this way all the time. He wanted so badly to kiss her, but he would never forgive himself if

 something went wrong. Not now, not here. What if she got mad? He couldn't stand if that happened. He wanted it to be perfect.

 

 Keiko sighed. How did this happen? Five or six days ago, Otaru didn't know this side of her existed. They would joke around as buddies, and she never thought they would be dancing,

 holding each other like this. And she never knew she could have these feelings for him. That same time, five or six days ago, Kakeru and she would be bickering, and another day would

 pas by, and his witty comments would make her blood boil. Now he loved her, and those days were gone, and someone she once despised made her blush when he looked at her that way,

 or when he whispered in her ear. Things were confusing now. She didn't really mind it though, except now she was here, with Otaru, and things have changed between them. The music

 stopped, and they stopped dancing, and for a brief moment she looked into his eyes. 'What is he thinking now?' She wondered.

 

 Kakeru and his date had decided it best that she go off with her friends, since they had barely said a word to each other since he met her. Now he not only felt alone, but he felt like a

 loser(A loser with a voice that could melt antarctica, mind you, but, anyway).

 'Why must I feel this way? She's just a girl! And it's not like they're getting married or anything, they just went to a dance together! Besides, she's going to tell him she's Kei, he's going to

 freak out and they probably wont even speak..' He suddenly felt extremely bad, because that thought had made him feel even the littlest bit happy.

 

 Anji rushed in, and spotted Staci, who was chatting with, GOHEI?!

 "Oh, I know, the life of a reporter is so hectic!" Staci laughed.

 "Hi, Staci-Chan!" Anji smiled.

 "Oh, hi Anji.." Staci put her nose in the air.

 "What? So I'm a LITTLE late.." Anji looked at his watch.

 "You're VERY late." Staci narrowed her eyes.

 "Aww come on! I had to find a cab, and you gotta remember it's a two hour ride from the Academy!" Anji smiled charmingly. "May I have this dance?" --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

 

Otaru and Keiko were taking a break from the dancing, and they were having fun doing a little people watching!

"Look!" Otaru pointed. "There's your brother. Looks like him and Staci are having fun."

Keiko smiled. Staci appeared to have forgiven him for showing up late, and they were now dancing closely. She stifled a laugh. VERY closely... "This is great! Now I have material for when I see him later..." Otaru laughed.

"Hmmm." Otaru looked around again. "I wonder where Sempai could be."

Keiko laughed nervously. "Oh!... He's probably avoiding Mai. /Well, that's the truth!/ You know how she is..."

"That's too bad." He smiled at her. "He's missing out on a lot of fun!"

Keiko grinned. /No, he's not...!/

Simultaneously, both of their eyes crossed over to Kakeru, who was sitting by himself, looking completely miserable.

"You know..." Otaru seemed to have trouble saying this. "I... I almost feel sorry for him."

"You do?" Keiko was still looking at Kakeru across the room.

"Yeah." Otaru looked at her ecstatically. "I feel sorry for anyone who's not with you tonight."

"Really?" She looked at him with stars in her eyes, and threw her arms around his neck. "That is sooo SWEET!"

Otaru couldn't take this, and blushed furiously. /She likes me! She REALLY LIKES me!/

Kakeru happened to look at them during this moment, /Wow,/ he thought bitterly. /they sure are having a jolly time./

Keiko and Otaru had moved back onto the dance floor, and were dancing slowly with romantic music playing, and couples swirling all around them. /I had no idea he could be like this!/ Keiko marveled. /Makes me sorry to have to be a guy around him so much./ She sighed inaudibly. /Oh well... one day the day will come when Amuro Keiko will appear for good, and life will be simple again./ --Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kakeru felt destroyed inside, watching them. He wanted that to be him. He sighed. Maybe he shouldn't be here. He didn't want to sit in the corner, watching them all night. Just as he was about to leave, Aika stopped him.

"Having fun?" She smiled brightly.

He sighed. "No.."

"Hey, don't think we didn't see you, standing in the corner, trying to be invisible," She giggled. "What, or should I say, who, were you watching?"

He blushed. "No one."

"Boy, you must really like Keiko-Chan!" She giggled more.

"What?! No! Well maybe... Yes.. But... Why does it matter?" He started getting frustrated.

"Sooo.. Do you want to dance?" She winked.

"I guess I should dance, once.."

"That IS the idea." She took him arm and led him to the floor.

 

Keiko smiled. This was like a dream. A constant dream she had. After the song was finished, she asked to go to the bathroom. On her way, she saw Kakeru with.. Aika?! How did this happen?! Was she jealous? No.. Never.. But.... She shrugged it off and went to the bathroom. She felt confused. She wanted to splash water on her face, but she knew it would take her hours to get her make up back on after, so she resisted the urge.

'Why is Kakeru with Aika??' She thought.

When Keiko came back, she couldn't find Otaru. Instead, Naoki walked up to her.

"Otaru-Kun said he needed some fesh air." She told her.

 

Otaru breathed in. 'This is so hard.. I want to tell her but a can't. I want to kiss her, but I can't..' He wrestled with himself. 'I can't think about it now... It's so beautiful here. Everythings perfect. I can't mess it up.' He looked up at the starry sky. He felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped. Keiko smiled at him.

"You sure are timid, aren't you?" She laughed.

"U-um, yeah.." He blushed as he stood and brushed himself off. Keiko looked up at the stars.

 

Kakeru hoped Keiko would dance with him once. He had to dance with her just once. He had to hold her, and look into her eyes. --Ikuno

 

 

 

Keiko and Otaru walked back inside after spending a few minutes relaxing and silently star-gazing. Neither of them had said a word since the few initial ones. Neither of them trusted themselves to.

As they walked in, Keiko noticed Kakeru standing by the door, looking as though he was getting ready to leave because he just couldn't stand being there anymore. Keiko felt a strange wrenching inside her stomach watching him like this. True, she was having a fantastic time with Otaru, but, she didn't know how she could live with herself afterwards if she didn't do anything to make him feel better.

"Otaru..." She felt absolutely horrible for doing this to him. But, it wouldn't be for very long...

"Yes?"

"You said earlier that you felt sorry for Kakeru and... well... you see how miserable he is right now! I was just thinking that it might help him to feel better if I was to dance just once with him... but I want to make sure it's ok with you first."

 

"W-what?" Otaru thought he could literally feel his heart breaking. He thought they were having such a great time together, he loved her, and, and... /Stop that!/ He demanded himself sharply. /You have no right to her. If she wants to dance with Kakeru, that's her decision. As much as you'd like her to be with you, and only you, it isn't so right now.../  He looked at her wretchedly.

"Otaru? If it isn't ok with you..."

"N-no. I mean, yes. I suppose... I suppose I can't stop you from doing whatever you want."

Keiko looked at him thankfully. She felt so sorry for him, but she thought that he was such a gentleman for doing this. She could see on his face what it must've cost him.

"Don't worry, Otaru... I won't be for long..." And she left. Otaru walked off to a corner of the room to recover himself and watch them discreetly. If Shiranui tried anything... well, he didn't know what he would do.

"Kakeru?"

Kakeru looked up, saw Keiko, and felt a jolt in his heart. /She's coming!! I wonder what she's going to say.../

She smiled at him. "May I have this dance?"

Kakeru looked like he thought he must be dreaming. "That's all I've wanted all night..."

"Then why didn't you ask sooner, silly?" She laughed at him, gently took his hand, and led him out to the dance floor.

"But I thought... Otaru..." he asked her this confusedly as he put his arms around her waist, and thought that this was all he'd been waiting for his entire life.

"Don't worry about that... Otaru's so nice, he let me come and ask you willingly."

"You had to ask him to get his permission?!"

"No... I just thought that was the nice thing to do."

At this they both stopped talking, and settled for simply swaying to the music and staring in each other's eyes. Keiko at first thought she had asked him just to be nice, but she then realized that she WANTED to be here, dancing this dance, with Kakeru, and dancing with him was just as nice as dancing with Otaru. She felt upset at this. She had thought, being with Otaru, that she really loved him. But now, with Kakeru, she felt her conflicting emotions rise up again. Otaru, or Kakeru?

 

Kakeru wasn't being plagued by feelings of confusion, he was simply the happiest he had ever been in his life, or so he thought. He wanted to kiss her so badly, and while he had resisted the urge for awhile now, he suddenly felt that he couldn't any longer. He leaned down to her, closer, closer...

Otaru, off in his corner, saw this and felt his fists clench. /No! Not Kakeru!!/

Keiko snapped back into reality from her thoughts and saw Kakeru EXTREMELY close to her face. Suddenly she knew what he was fixing to do. She pushed him back. "NO!"

Kakeru, surprised, jumped. "W-what??" He looked at her wildly. "Oh nooo... I'm so sorry. I... I don't know what came over me..." /Stupid!! how could you have done that?? now she'll hate you.../

"Uh... that's okay." Keiko herself was surprised at what had just happened. "You've got to understand, though, I can't have that, from you or Otaru. It just can't happen now..."

"Yeah, I was stupid to try it." Kakeru looked crestfallen. "But... I have to know... maybe, in the future? Can you... um... love me?" This again was an impulsive act. Keiko had him doing things the normally calm and cool violinist would never dream of doing.

"Kakeru! How in the world can I answer that! I just don't know! My feelings for you... and Otaru... are too complicated to figure out now."

"I shouldn't have asked you that... we have to be in the same tent tonight!" They both laughed ruefully. "Goodnight."

"Bye..."

They both went in different ways. Keiko didn't know how to face Otaru again, after what had just happened. After all... she loved him too... --Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

Kakeru was shocked. Did that just happen? What just happened? He was confused.  After the dance was over, Keiko felt a knot in her stomach. What if Otaru was a gentleman and decided to walk her home?! She was at the TUA camp!!! She could say she was going to the Pheonix camp with Naoki and Aika, but where were they?!  Otaru smiled at her. "What are you thinking about?"

"Hmm, me? Uh.." She sweatdropped. "How beautiful it is tonight." 'WOW!! Nice cover.'

"Yes, it's lovely." He smiled. "So I guess I etter walk you home. Wouldn't want you walking all alone at night."

Keiko sweatdropped again. "Actually, I'm walking back with some friends.."

"Oh," Otaru looked a little dissapointed, but then smiled at her. "Then I guess this is goodnight." Otaru paused. Should he give her a goodnight kiss?

"Goodnight, Otaru." She smiled. He then kissed her. It didn't even register until he pulled back, and was walking back to the TUA camp. "Goodnight!" He smiled as she sat there, blushing.

'What just happened??' Keiko blinked. She kind of spaced out as she walked back to the place where she left her clothes. 'I can't believe it.. Otaru.. He.. He kissed me!'

She picked up her clothes and quickly changed, then headed towards the lake to wash the make up off her face. But she heard a noise.

"What in the heck?! Why did you do that?! Are you insane?!" It was ANJI!! "Don't think I didn't see that!!!"

 

"I wasn't thinking, okay..." Kakeru sighed in frustration.

"I'm sure. I didn't think I could trust you before, now I know I can't." Anji said.

"Listen! I don't give a flip whether you trust me or not! You think that I'm one of those people who just kisses someone without having any feelings for them?! Well you're wrong! And I don't appreciate you interigating me like this! That was humiliating enough, and I don't need you to add to it!" Kakeru spat out in obvious anger.

Anji was in shock. "What do you mean, 'Without any feelings for them'??"

"I'm done talking. I don't have to answer to you, Amuro." Kakeru started to walk away.

Anji grabbed his shirt, and pushed him against a tree. "If you step on foot near my sister.."

"What the heck is going on here?!" Keiko exclaimed. Both Anji and Kakeru's jaws dropped. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

"K-Keiko!" Anji stuttered, and dropped Kakeru, who quickly brushed off his shirt, glared at Keiko, then turned to leave again. Anji, however, was not ready for him to go just yet.

"I'm not through with you, Shiranui!" he again grabbed Kakeru by the collar and swung him around. Kakeru didn't try to stop him, but the look on his face said more than his actions could have. He looked ready to kill. Keiko drew back instinctively.

"I'm through with YOU, Amuro," Kakeru said icily, pushing away Anji's hand. Anji glared daggers at him, and looked prepared to beat him the ground at any moment. Keiko stepped in before their staring contest could turn into something slightly more harmful.

Grabbing Kakeru's arm, she pulled him away, slightly, from Anji. She sent a piercing look in her brother's direction, telling him plainly to lay off, then stalked away toward her tent, still grasping tightly to Kakeru's arm.

 

Once they were away from Keiko's raging brother, Kakeru jerked his arm away. This surprised Keiko, and she nearly fell with the force he had used. He didn't seem to care as she stumbled. She turned to face him, and his face was set with anger that Keiko couldn't match.

"What... what is WRONG with you?" she asked, "Anji can't have made you THAT angry!" she said this as if it were a fact. Kakeru narrowed his eyes at her, then took a step forward.

"Why did you dance with me?" he murmured, seemingly too angry to do otherwise. Keiko took a step backwards, and found herself against a tree.

"What... What do you mean?" she asked shakily. Kakeru took another step.

"Why did you dance with me?" he asked again, this time a bit louder. Keiko shook her head.

"Because... I..."

"Because you felt sorry for me," Kakeru said, his voice raising again. "WHY did you feel sorry for me?"

Keiko found her voice lodged in her throat, leaving a great lump. Kakeru, however, seemed uncaring of whether she responded or not. He went on.

"Because I looked unhappy, alone..." his words came out shakily, but his eyes still burned furiously. "So you decided that it might be nice if you just had one dance with me... because you felt sorry for me...

But that's all I got; one dance. Your pity didn't seem to stop you from dancing with someone six times..."

Keiko stopped him there. "YOU were COUNTING?!" she looked at Kakeru's suddenly blank expression with fury. "YOU are PATHETIC! If you wanted to dance more, why didn't you just ASK ME?"

"You didn't think I tried?!" Kakeru growled, "After every dance, I would get up to go ask you, but then Otaru would ask for another dance! Every time I even LOOKED at you, HE was there, dancing with you or talking with you--I couldn't even approach you! How could you have expected me to ask you to dance with HIM all over you all night?!"

His words came out very fast, and he had to catch his breath when he was done. Keiko, however, had no breath to catch. She was in shock at his words. Her mouth opened as she attempted to find the right words.

"You... you seemed so happy when we were dancing..." she said softly, knowing that what she had said was not the thing she should have. Kakeru took his eyes away from her and faced one of the trees.

"Happy... Yes, I was happy..." he said, his tone sorrowful. "That was before I saw you two... after the dance..." his voice trailed off. Keiko stared at him in disbelief.

"You... SAW that? You were spying on us?!"

Kakeru grinned sadly. "SPYing?" he chuckled bitterly, "Why would I need to sink as low as that? No, I wasn't. It was more like a public display, you two. Almost everybody could have seen if they'd just turned their heads. I'm surprised Anji isn't out killing Otaru..." the grin he wore now turned to one of irony.

Keiko was at a loss for words. Her mouth hung open. Everyone could see...? There was an uncomfortable but drawn-out silence in which neither of the two spoke.

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Kakeru said finally. Keiko stared at him again, finding her mind suddenly blurred.

"Tell you what?" she breathed, almost inaudibly. Kakeru took a step closer to her, though he still didn't dare to look.

"Why didn't you tell me... that you..." he hesitated. "That you didn't feel the same way about me? I would have been saved a lot of grief if you'd just told me, from the beginning, that you... you and Otaru..."

Keiko finally decided to retaliate. "Listen--stop your pity party!" she demanded, and Kakeru looked up at her. "Otaru kissed ME! I didn't kiss HIM!"

Kakeru's expression had gone blank. He stared at Keiko, lips parted slightly. Keiko readied herself for a retaliation from Kakeru, but she was taken aback as he stayed silent. He brushed past her on his way deeper into the forest. Keiko looked after him for a moment before, resolutely, she followed him.

"Kakeru!" she called after the form that was silently stepping into the darkness. She quickened her pace to a jog, then a run, as she met up with him and grabbed him roughly by the shoulder. --TD

 

 

 

 

 

The dance had broken up about a half hour before, but Aika, Naoki, and Rina were only now struggling back to their tent. They of course could have been there much sooner if Aika and Naoki hadn't decided to follow Keiko and Otaru for a while and hadn't dragged Rina along for the ride. Just to make sure that Otaru didn't try anything, of course.

 

Of course.

 

Naoki whacked Aika on the back of the head. "We were supposed to be making sure he *didn't* try anything! You weren't supposed to cheer him on when he kissed her!"

Aika looked up, teary-eyed. "But it was so adorable! They make such a precious couple!"

"What if they heard us?" Rina asked nervously.

"Nah," Aika dismissed the thought with a wave of her hand to illustrate. "If they had Keiko-chan would have come and killed us by now. Otaru-kun would probably be helping her."

"He wouldn't hurt us!" Rina gasped, sounding slightly doubtful.

"No, but I bet he'd play lookout while Keiko-chan did," Aika said, a little too perkily considering the thought.

"Anyway," Naoki cleared her throat, returning to the topic at hand, "there's another reason that you shouldn't cheer on Otaru-kun."

"What's that?" Aika asked, puzzled.

"Kakeru!" Naoki exclaimed. "You can't tell me that you didn't notice how sad he was when Keiko-chan and Otaru-kun were dancing! That's why *you* danced with him!"

"Well... yeah..." Aika said slowly. "But Otaru-kun's liked Keiko-chan a lot longer."

"You don't know that!"

"It's been obvious all along!"

"RINA!" The two cried together, turning on her.

Rina cowered away from the two scary girls. "Ye-yes?"

"Which guy do you think we should set Keiko-chan up with?"

"Well...I..." Rina had a VERY bad feeling about answering either way.

 

As she stood there stammering, a shrill scream was heard coming from the clearing where the girls had pitched their tents. Aika, Naoki, and Rina looked at each other in alarm.

"MAI!" Aika shrieked. An answering scream reverberated through the forest and the girls took off running to the rescue.

 

On reaching the clearing they all stopped short. Mai was on her knees, holding scraps of velvety fabric. She looked up, sniffling. "First Kei-kun stands me up... and now someone's vandalized my tent!" She sniffled again.

The guilty party sweatdropped and looked at each other questioningly. After a moment of furious whispering, Aika and Naoki shoved Rina forward to "do something about it" while they escaped, giggling, into the woods.

"Well then..." Naoki said thoughtfully, panting a bit as they stopped a considerable distance away from their clearing. "I guess there's only one way to prove who's right."

The two looked at each other and evil grins spread slowly across their faces. "CONTEST!" they both shrieked as they slapped hands and shook on it. They were promptly showered with any variety of small projectile as the people trying to sleep in the clearing they had unwittingly run to during their flight yelled at them to shut up and go to sleep.

"Sorry!" Naoki whispered, chagrined. "So... first person to get Keiko-chan to tell their guy she loves him wins, right? What's the prize?"

"Umm..." Aika chewed her bottom lip. "The loser has to calm our darling Anji down when he finds out about it."

"WHAT?" Naoki's shriek was cut off abruptly as the annoyed would-be sleepers calmly got out of their tents and calmly began beating the two girls over the head with their pillows. --Tamashii

 

 

 

 

 

Otaru felt like he could float off the ground. She didn't get mad at all when he kissed her! What was he worried about? Then he bumped into someone.

"A-a-amuro-san!!!" She studdered. He then realized what he was worried about. Anji narrowed his eyes and grabbed Otaru by the collar of his tux.

"Come with me, Chinen."

 

"Why are you being such a jerk?! It's none of your business whether or not I like Otaru! And what's this all about with me feeling the same as you?! Up until yesterday or so, I didn't KNOW how you felt!" Keiko exclaimed. "You can't expect me to feel the way you feel if you are always hiding it!! How was I supposed to know?! Am I psychic?! AND, I never said I didn't like you.." Keiko trailed off. Maybe this wasn't a good time to say that.

"What??" Kakeru looked at her. "You like me??"

"I didn't say that," Keiko said nervously.

"So you don't.." Kakeru turned around with his back to her.

"I didn't say that either." Keiko put her hands on her hips.

"Then what did you say?!" He faced her. She could see the deep hurt in him.

"I..." She didn't know what to say.

"Forget it.." Kakeru started to walk away.

"How?! How am I supposed to forget when someone says they love me?!" She exclaimed.

"I didn't say that." He smiled. She glared at him.

"Now you're making fun of me!" She exclaimed. "I don't know how you can possibly stand doing this to people! I don't know how you can do this to me! Especially since you-"

Kakeru smiled at her, and put his hand on her mouth. "Sshhh.." He said. He move his hand to the side of her face, his fingers in her hair. He looked into her eyes. He knew he couldn't try to kiss her again, so he just stood there, and looked into her eyes.

 

'What is he doing?! Is he going to try to kiss me AGAIN?' While they stood there, Keiko found instead, HERSELF leaning in on Kakeru. She closed her eyes, and there lips met. She backed off quickly, realizing what she had done.

 

Anji glared at Otaru. "WHAT WAS RULE NUMBER ONE?!" He exclaimed.

"U-u-um.." Otaru blushed. "D-don't make p-passes at your sister??"

"Oh," Anji thought a second. "Okay, well, WHAT WAS NUMBER TWO!?

"I'm sorry.. It's just.. I.. It was only a goodnight kiss.." Otaru blushed wildly.

"NEVER KISS MY SISTER UNLESS YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH!" Anji exclaimed. He wa ready to kill Otaru.

"I'm sorry.." Otaru looked away. "It's just.."

"IT'S JUST WHAT?!?!" Anji exclaimed.

"..I think... ..I love her.."

 

Kakeru couldn't believe what just happened. Did Keiko just kiss HIM?! He felt overcome with joy. Keiko DID just kiss him! She liked him, too! But Keiko didn't look happy, instead, she looked shocked.

'What did I just do?! How does this help the situation?! Didn't I just say at the dance that I couldn't have that from either of them? Now I've kissed both of them! Why did I do that?!'

Keiko mentally slapped herself.

Kakeru put his hand around her waist and pulled her close. He then kissed her, like he'd always wanted. A long, passionate kiss, and now he knew that she wanted to, too. As the kiss ended, Keiko blushed, and her mouth hung opened. "I.. I.. I.." She couldn't get any words out. Her expression changed to anger, and she slapped him.

"Oww!! What was that for?!" Kakeru said, confused.

"YOU KISSED ME!!" She looked at him, bright red with anger and embarrassment.

"So?! You kissed me!!" Kakeru exclaimed.

"So?!?! That was.. Well.. I didn't mean.. I.. I didn't kiss you like THAT.." Keiko couldn't think of the right words to say. Instead, she stormed off to her tent, leaving Kakeru dumbfounded.

 

"YOU WHAT?!!?" Anji exclaimed.

"I'm sorry... I have to go.." Otaru said, as Anji let him go.

'Keiko, what are you doing?!' Anji thought. --Ikuno

 

 

 

 

 

It took a moment for the entire encounter to register and, finally, make sense in Kakeru's heavily weighted mind. When it did, he found himself unable to stand, and he slid down onto the hard forest floor, covering the bottom of his elegant tux in dirt and leaves.

 

He replayed the encounter in his mind, breathing heavily with utter disbelief. He'd actually done it. He'd kissed her. What astonished him most, though, was that SHE had done it FIRST.

He calculated in his head briefly. Since she had kissed him once, and he had kissed her once, that meant that... they'd kissed twice!  His heart lept with rapture as he climbed unsteadily to his feet. That was one more kiss than Otaru had gotten, and he'd been the one to kiss HER! She hadn't kissed him, like she had Kakeru! He suddenly felt very smug, and would have given anything to simply rub this in Otaru's face. His step was light, but his mind began putting itself in proper order. As always, nagging thoughts ran through his mind, attempting to discourage him.

/She looked angry/ one of the thoughts said, /she didn't want to kiss you at all. she felt sorry for you again.../

Kakeru shook his head. No, she wouldn't do that again... she wouldn't do something out of pity twice... but then another thought struck him. Perhaps that was the reason she'd run away, and not said anything. Because she felt sorry for him, and didn't want to reveal it.

Kakeru grimly pictured in his mind a sad-looking Keiko, running into the wide-spread arms of Otaru and crying on his shoulder, then...  He wouldn't allow his mind to take the picture any further. After what had happened with Keiko in the forest, he refused to believe that she could feel anything for Otaru. But, then, he wasn't sure she felt anything for himself, either...

Unaware that his feet had been moving at all underneath him, Kakeru nearly toppled over as he found himself back at his tent. Absently, he unzipped it, and climbed inside. There, not much to his surprise, he found Keiko curled up in her sleeping bag, attempting to hide her face which was, most obviously, covered in tears.

 

Normally, Kakeru would have insisted that Keiko get out of the tent while he got dressed, but he decided not to bother with anything that night. Instead, he removed the heavy jacket of his tux, took off his shoes, and climbed into his sleeping bag, not really intent on sleep at all. Fully clothed, he knew the task would be impossible, anyway. Keiko seemed to notice this.

 

"You're wearing those to bed?" she said dryly, not even turning to face him. Kakeru knew this was a cover for what she really wanted to say to him, so he answered as if a different question had been asked.

"I'm sorry for kissing you."

Keiko sat up quickly, startled by Kakeru's sudden choice in words. She stared at him, her mouth hanging open and her cheeks a crimson color. "S-sorry?!" she said. "For kissing me?! WHY??"

"You seemed angry... I thought that I might have done something wrong by kissing you--"

"But I kissed you first!" Keiko intervened, "If anything, I should be apologizing for kissing you!"

Kakeru let out a laugh filled with irony. "Why would you want to apologize?" he asked, staring fixedly at the door of the tent. "Wouldn't you think that, after all those near misses, all I wanted was to kiss you?" He let out another hearty laugh. "Perhaps I should be thanking you..." --TD

 

 

 

 

Keiko didn't know what to do.

"Th-thanking me? Why?" she asked shocked.

"Because that's all I wanted to do alnight was Kiss you!" he exclaimed, as if pointing out the obvious.

Keiko was lost in thought. Otaru had kissed her. And now Kakeru kissed her! But, that wasn't the real problem, the real problem was that she wasn't really sure how she felt about either of them...

All of the sudden Keiko burst out crying in frustration and burrying her head in her pillow, unable to hold back the tears. Thinking he had done something wrong, got up and walked over to Keiko, taking Kakeru in his arms and rocking back and forth whispering "I'm sorry."

Keiko finally stopped crying and pulled back a lil` to look him in the eye's.

"No," she said. "It's not your fault. It's mine."

"Yours? wha'd you do?" he asked, plainly confused.

"I tottally screwed my life!" she shouted, bursting into tears again and rubbing her face in his chest and letting him comfort her agian.

 

Otaru, remembering that he didn't see Kei alnight decided to go visit him. But when he got to his tent he didn't see Kei, he saw Keiko. He sew Keiko spilling her guts out to Kakeru!

"I'm tired of plying the roll of Kei all the time..." Keiko's muffle voice faded off.

"What?!"

Keiko jumped and lifted her head up to see Otaru standing in the doorway looking stunned.

"Otaru! wait-" she shouted but was cut off by a raging Otaru storming off to the lake thinking, 'I TRUSTED you!' --KittyK.

 

 

 

 

Otaru closed his eyes to keep the tears from pouring. Sempai, was Keiko!!! He, was a SHE, and he, no, she, has been lying to him this whole time. And Kakeru! He KNEW!! She told Kakeru and she didn't tell him!! Since the very beginning, it's all been a lie! Kei was a girl and.. Kei was a girl. That was it! All the weird things about Sempai, the fact he'd never met any guy like him, it all made perfect sense now. Kakeru.. Otaru's eye opened wide. Kakeru knew, and he's.. He's been sharing a tent with KEIKO?! He felt something grab his arm. It was Keiko. He pulled away. "Why.. why didn't you.. Why didn't you TELL ME?!?!" He exclaimed, an angry look on his face. He'd never been this inraged before, with Keiko or with Kei.

"Otaru, I.. I couldn't." She started crying, her eyes still wet from when she sobbed to Kakeru.

Otaru couldn't stand this. He was so mad at her, and now he felt worse, because he made her cry. Before he could say anything, she kept on. "Anji told me not to tell anyone! I've wanted so much to tell you, but.."

"But you could tell Shiranui-San, right?" Otaru's stomach turned. He had felt worse than he ever had in his life.

"No, he found out! I even had to beg him not to tell! I told him I'd do anything and.." Keiko closed her eyes and felt like hitting herself. 'Now what's he going to think?!'

"What?!" Otaru gaped. He hoped Kakeru didn't do what he'd thought. Just then Kakeru walked up, and Otaru became infuriated. Without even thinking, he walked up and punched Kakeru, right in the eye. Keiko gasped. Otaru just hit Kakeru!! OTARU!! Who doesn't hit ANYONE! Even for self defense!! Why would he do that?! Otaru panicked. How could he do that?! He just injured someone!! No matter how he felt, that was no excuse for.. He had to get out of there. Otaru ran away as quickly as he could. Keiko followed him.

 

Otaru stopped to catch his breath, and collapsed on the floor onto his knees. Keiko was KEI! How could she not tell him?! He put his hand on his face, tears streaming down his cheeks. He didn't know what to do. He thought he should be a man about it, but how could he be a man about this?! How could this happen?!

 

Keiko caught up to Otaru, and her heart sank as she saw him on his knees with his head in his hands. How could she let him find out?! She knew this was going to happen!!

"Otaru.." She sniffled. "I'm so sorry....."

He looked up at her, and wiped his eyes. "Is he okay??"

"What?" Keiko thought of all the things Otaru would say, and this didn't come up anywhere.

"Is he okay? I didn't mean to.. I just.. It was an accident.. I wasn't thinking, I.." Otaru couldn't believe he had hit Kakeru. He thought Kakeru had taken advantage of Keiko, but still, it was wrong, and he felt horrible.

"Yeah. He's fine.. He's probably going to have a black eye, but.." Keiko thought a sec. "Why did you do it???"

"I... I thought.." Otaru couldn't look at Keiko. "I thought he.."

"I understand." Keiko looked at him sympathetically.

"Wait a second! You two sleep in the same room! You see each other all the time, and He, he loves you! How could I possibly.." Otaru blushed, but was soon overcome with anger. "You just let me believe in this lie!! This whole time!! I told you.. I told you that I loved her, I mean, that I loved YOU! I told you HE loved you! I can't believe this!"

She walked towards him and fell on her knees. "I'm sorry!! I wanted to!! I couldn't!! I'm your friend! You know me! If I could, you know I would tell you!"

"I don't know anything about you! Everything was a lie! How am I supposed to know you at all?!"

She leaned closer to him, and held him by the shoulders. "I am ME. You know me. Boy or girl, the way I act with you, it doesn't change. I'm not Keiko, I'm not Kei, I'm Sempai. I'm your friend. And I care about you."

They stared at each other for a long time, then Otaru hugged Keiko in a warm imbrace, despite the cold of the night. Keiko blushed. Otaru lay his forehead gainst hers, and breathed. He hadn't got alot of air within those past minutes. Otaru realized how close they were, and blushed furiously. When he hugged her, he knew she was a girl, but it never clicked that it was Keiko, the girl he was in love with. It was Sempai, his best friend. Now their faces were close together, and it was Keiko. He moved his face closer, and kissed her. And she kissed him back! He then backed away in a panic. 'What did I just do?! I was kissing SEMPAI! And Sempai kissed ME!! This is too weird..' Keiko blushed. He knew, and he still liked her? Maybe she was wrong. She felt so happy. He knew and he didn't care!!

"This is too weird.." Otaru stood up. "I gotta go.." Otaru said, as he started towards the camp..

Keiko sighed. Kakeru kissed her, She kissed him, She kissed Otaru, and he kissed her. She was so confused. --Ikuno

 

 

NOTE TO MIPPA>> Yesh, this is a little OOC, but like I said in the BBS to TD, if you loved someone, and you thought someone else had hurt them or had taken advantage of them, no matter what principles you had, you'd probably want to slug 'em once or twice... I NEEDED redemption!!! Haven't you read my past few scenes? I was appointed the OK General! Howcan I let my troops down??

 

 

 

 

 

Keiko had to get out of there, and NO WAY could she go back to the tent she was sharing with Kakeru. In fact, she didn't feel like facing him for a long, long time.

The enormity of what had just happened, Otaru finding out, Kakeru being punched out by OTARU... where could she go to get this straightened out? Anji of course was out of the question... he'd probably be more likely to beat her up than comfort her. She had to find someone who had known her for a long time, who had helped her out in times of need, and would know how to help her now. The answer popped out at her... Aika and Naoki! Of course! She started running in the direction of their tent.

 

While Keiko was running off to be petted and comforted by her friends, Anji was busy pacing through a clearing. His mind was a buzz of activity. Clearly he'd have to stay here at the camp for the rest of the trip, which fortunately would not last much longer. He hated this as much as Keiko did, but there was no choice. Keiko and her two FRIENDS (his face darkened as he thought of them) were in need of constant supervision....

 

BAM

 

Keiko had been running through the clearing Anji was pacing through, and without seeing him, ran right into him, knocking him on his butt! She stood over him laughing, while Anji got up. Keiko thought happily, /I am SO glad that happened now. Serves him right!/ That however did NOT help Anji's mood.

He glared at her coldly. "Ok, you can shut up now, you've had your laugh. I don't think you'll be laughing anymore once you hear what I have to tell you." He stepped closer to her, and despite the giggles she was still trying to hold in, he saw the tears still glistening in her eyes. His eyes widened, and he stepped still closer to her, shaking her shoulders roughly. "OK, WHAT HAPPENED?!"

At this Keiko started sobbing wildly.

"Don't you dare try to hide anything from me, I know something is wrong! What did those two... (he muttered several expletives under his breath) do to you?!"

Keiko crossed her arms, and emboldened by Kakeru's earlier defiance to her brother, shouted at him through her sobs.

"Who know what, I really don't feel like telling you, because it has NOTHING to do with you whatsoever! And if you think you can scare me or try to force it out of me, then you're dead WRONG. You've been acting more like a slave driver than a brother lately, and don't think that I'm not getting sick of it!"  Keiko stepped back from him, almost scared of what he would do, but feeling oddly liberated by her burst of defiance. SHE would make sure that he thought twice before trying to treat her like a baby again!

Anji facevaulted. He was, to say the least, shocked. TWO people had defied his authority in the same night! Was he losing his touch? He was so shocked he was incapable of getting angry at Keiko, all he wanted to do was drop to the ground. But he knew that he had to stand his ground, he had that much self-control. A pretty big come down for the great Anji!

"D-Don't think I can't find out some other way, Keiko," he threatened lamely. "I'm watching you..." If this was meant to scare her into talking, he was failing miserably. He still couldn't get over her earlier words. Slave driver...?!

"Whatever." Keiko dismissed him with a wave of her hand, and then took off again toward the girl's camp.

As Anji watched her run away, he felt the anger once again bubbling within him. She wasn't gonna talk to him, huh? She thought he was a slave driver, huh? Well, he would teach her to shout at him! She would thank him one day, after this mess was over. And the funny thing was, he really believed that... he took off in the opposite direction, intent upon finding Chinen and Shiranui. --Joanna

 

 

 

 

 

Aika rubbed her eyes groggily. Someone... outside? She checked her watch, which read in bold green numbers '2:13 a.m.'. She grumbled and looked over at Naoki, who still slept soundly. The person outside the tent continued to shake the tent.

"Go away!" Aika whined, "We're sleeping!"

"Aika!" the person outside the tent whispered, "It's me! We need to talk!"

Aika immediately threw off her sleeping bag and unzipped the tent, a mother-like concern sweeping over her at the sight of her brown-haired friend.

"Keiko-chan!" she said, "What's the matter? Everything all right?"

Keiko sniffed and looked up at her miserably. Naoki, who had just been stepped on, woke up, took one look at Keiko, and hugged her protectively. "What HAPPENED?"

Keiko started to sob uncontrollably. "EVERYTHING'S GOING WRONG!" she cried miserably, while Aika attempted to quiet her. She looked through her bags, and quickly located a chocolate bar she had been saving for the bus trip the next day. She convinced herself that this was more important.

Keiko took the chocolate warmly and thankfully, but didn't eat it right away. She contented herself with staring at it and letting silent tears run down her face. Aika and Naoki both gave eachother helpless glances, before turning back to their friend.

"Why don't you tell us what's wrong, Keiko-chan?" Aika asked soothingly. Keiko was strongly reminded of her mother, but she pushed that thought back as she nodded. She took a deep breath, and unwrapped the bar of chocolate. In her state, she never would have guessed what was going on with the two people that had caused her problem.

 

"I'm sorry for punching you..." Otaru said miserably to the figure who sat beside him on the hard floor of the bleak forest. The figure nodded, then gave a short laugh.

"That was quite a punch, though," Kakeru said, "For a first time, that is."

Otaru shook his head and sighed miserably. He still couldn't believe himself. Not only had he kissed Keiko that night--twice, to be correct--but he had also punched someone. Not only were both firsts, but they were far out of his normal character. He felt almost ashamed. He looked over at Kakeru, and noticed the ironic smile on his face. He arched an eyebrow questioningly.

Kakeru noticed this, and shook his head. "Don't you think it's funny," he murmured, resting his chin on his knees. "That we, who should be practically enemies, can sit here and act as if nothing is has happened tonight?"

Otaru's expression went blank. He found irritating when people referred to such things as "funny", but he wouldn't say that. He nodded at Kakeru's remark. Then something hit him.

"Did you kiss her?" he asked quickly, afraid what Kakeru might do. However, Kakeru merely looked at him, dumbfounded. Then he nodded.

"She... kissed me first, though," he said hesitantly, though automatically. He wanted, for some reason, to make this fact clear to Otaru, who wore a very vague expression.

"So..." he said shakily, "you kissed her twice?"

"And so did you," Kakeru said matter-of-factly, taking Otaru aback.

"How did you..." he began to ask, then stopped. "You saw..."

Kakeru nodded grimly. He knew that Otaru probably thought he'd been spying on them, but both times had been by accident. He quickly tried to explain this fact to Otaru, who nodded and looked somewhat satisfied.

Otaru opened his mouth to speak again, when he was interrupted.

"Sharing love stories, girls?" the voice said, and Kakeru and Otaru's eyes both opened wide in horror.

Above them stood Anji, more terrible and menacing than he had ever been. --TD

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kakeru and Otaru flinched briefly, but then each put on a bold face.

"A... Anji. How... surprising... to see you here," they simeltaneously stammered. Both then backed away slowly.

"It shouldn't be. What have you two been up to with Keiko?" Anji queried sternly.

Kakeru blinked, obviously trying to think of a way out. "Weeell... ah..."

"Two kisses. That's it," Otaru interjected quickly. He then started to back up a fair bit quicker, hoping to get a good head start if he turned out to need one. Track was not exactly his sport, and since Anji was a jock he could probably run pretty fast.

"That's too much," Anji growled.

Otaru gulped. *Yes, I probably am going to need that head start,* he thought, and said, "Myit'sgettinglate. Maybeweshouldtalkinthemorning?"

He then headed for his tent at top speed. Perhaps Anji would be too polite to intrude on him sleeping. Probably not, but it was worth a try.

 

"Well... I kissed Kakeru... and then he kissed me... and then Otaru overheard... and now he knows that I'm Kei... and then he got mad... and I kissed him... and he kissed me back... and he punched Kakeru... and I'M SO CONFUSED!!" Keiko blurted out quickly, sporadically crying.

Aika attempted to calm her distraught friend. "It's okay, Keiko. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually."

"Eventually's too late. I need help, NOW. Who? I'm just so confused..."

Against their better selves, Aika and Naoki grinned at each other over Keiko's head. Now just might be the time to settle their bet...

 

Anji watched Otaru run away, reasoning, *I can get him in the morning.* He turned to Kakeru and said, threateningly, "And you?"

His words fell on empty air. Kakeru had followed Otaru's example. Now it was too late for Anji to catch either.

 

Otaru couldn't sleep. Keiko had run off crying... Poor her. She must be so confused.

He had to try and see if he could help her. So he left his tent, and tried to find her.

When he arrived at Kakeru's tent, Keiko was nowhere in sight.

"Where is she?" he demanded of Kakeru.

"No idea."

"Doesn't that worry you?" Otaru said, aghast.

"Now that you mention it, it does," Kakeru said, with some concern.

"Maybe she went to the girl's camp, to see her friends," Otaru speculated

"That's probably it. G'night." With the air of one finished for the day, Kakeru retreated back to his tent.

"I think we should go apologize." Otaru said, before Kakeru climbed back in.

Turning, Kakeru replied, "Maybe you're right."

The two boys set off to find Keiko. --Betsy

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aika and Naoki listened to their friend sympathetically. They had managed to calm her down, and had also managed to con her into telling them everything--starting from the moment she'd heard about the camping trip. Keiko let out sobs between nearly every sentence and, by the time she had finished her heart-wrenching account of the trip, Aika and Naoki were in tears, and nearly an hour had passed.

"Oh, Keiko-chan!" Aika sobbed, the three of them hugging eachother. "I'm so sorry!"

"How can we help?" Naoki sniffled. Keiko wiped her eyes from underneath her glasses, and stared at the two. Then her shoulders sunk with miserable defeat.

"I don't know..." she muttered, "I think I'll have to work all this out on my own..."

sniffling, Naoki patted Keiko's head. "I don't think you should go for EITHER of them!" she said, shaking her head and smiling a bit. Aika nodded fervently in agreement.

"You shouldn't!" she said, "All they've done this entire trip is make you feel bad!"

"And, besides," Naoki added, "If you chose one of them, then THEY'D be hurt! You don't want to hurt anybody..."

"'Specially 'cause you can't seem to decide! I'd just drop both of 'em..."

Suddenly the tent rattled, and all three girls looked at eachother curiously.

"Now who could that be..." Aika wondered aloud as she crawled carefully to the door of the tent, and unzipped the flap slowly.

Otaru and Kakeru's pale faces popped into view immediately, and Aika started.

"What're YOU TWO doing here?" she said, shocked. Otaru cleared his throat nervously, indicating that Kakeru was to speak. Kakeru looked at Otaru for a moment, before returning his attention to Aika, attempting to get a look over her shoulder and into her tent.

"Is... is Keiko with you?" he asked shakily, and Aika inspected him for a moment, before peering around the camp grounds, and moving aside and signaling them to enter.

Kakeru immediately stepped into the somewhat crowded tent, leaving Otaru to stay behind, looking frightened beyond words. Aika was finally forced to grab him by the wrist and drag him in.

Keiko looked at the two blankly, her eyes barely visible through her thick glasses. Naoki, taking on the defensive, glared at Kakeru and Otaru as they entered.

"What did you want?" she said icily as Otaru and Kakeru positioned themselves uncomfortably in the small tent. Kakeru, a lump suddenly caught in his throat, looked helplessly at Otaru, who was left to explain.

"We... just..." he started, finding the lump in his own throat. He swallowed it back, and continued. "We wanted to apologize..."

Aika and Naoki stared, wide-eyed, at the two boys. Grins broke out on their faces, and they turned to Keiko. Their faces changed, however, when they saw that Keiko's tears were pouring out steadier and harder than ever. Her eyes were focused on Otaru and Kakeru.

Kakeru opened his mouth to speak to her, but she stopped him with an icy look.

"I bet that... you're expecting me to choose now..." she spoke between sobs, looking far mournful. "Aren't you?"

Otaru and Kakeru bothed looked on at the brown-haired girl, both expressing a sudden emotional agony. Aika and Naoki stayed quiet, hoping that, if they kept quiet and pretended not to be there, something interesting would happen.

Kakeru shook his head fervently. "No, Keiko!" he said feverishly, his face suddenly stern.

"Neither of us want to hurt you. If you don't want to choose--"

 

Keiko let out a racking sob. "ALRIGHT!" she cried, "I don't want EIHER OF YOU!" She pulled her knees up to her chest and hid her face in them. Her back shook with silent, wrenching sobs. Everyone in the tent looked on at her helplessly.

Finally, Otaru sighed, which Kakeru did also. They both put a hand on both of Keiko's shoulders, and she jerked her head up. They stared at her, smiling.

"Then it's settled..." Kakeru murmured. Keiko looked up at him in wonder.

"Neither of us it is, then," Otaru added, and Keiko's head turned to him. "Keiko, we're sorry to have put you through so much..."

Keiko felt ready to dance. They weren't making her choose! She was free of the guilt! They didn't care! Without thinking, she sprung up and threw her arms around the two.

"Thank you!" she gasped, trying to hold back the rest of her tears. "I love both of you..."

 

Aika and Naoki watched the scene with watery eyes. Everything was right again! Although neither of them (or, rather both of them)had won their bet, they felt completely satisfied. She'd admitted to BOTH of them...

Naoki let out a sudden, happy squeak, taking Keiko, Kakeru, and Otaru, who had forgotten that they were there, turned to them. Naoki blushed a furious red, but she smiled none-the-less. She then joined the warm embrace the three friends shared, followed quickly by a sobbing Aika.

 

The five of them stayed like that for quite a while, until, quite to everyone's surprise, Keiko began to giggle. Then she began to laugh loudly. Then she roared with laughter, releasing everyone from her grip and lying on her back, her laughter reaching the top of the tent and almost shaking the walls.  Her laughter, which came of what, nobody knew, abruptly ceased, as she began to cry hysterically once more. Stopping herself afer a few moments of this, she put on a wide grin, and stumbled out of the tent without second thought.

 

The four remaining teenagers gawked after her, dumbfounded by her actions.

"She's the most confusing person I've ever known..." Otaru commented. Kakeru gave him a quick glance before settling his brown eyes back on the quickly disappearing form of Keiko.

"If you'd known her as a girl longer," he mumbled, "You prob'ly wouldn't find her so confusing."

Aika gave him a 'look'. He sighed. "Then again..."

After watching Keiko disappear in the distance, Kakeru and Otaru bid the two girls (who were still in tears) good-night, and left back to their campsite.

They walked in silence for a while, until Kakeru spoke, taking Otaru by surprise.

"Hey, Otaru..." Kakeru said blandly, folding his arms behind his head.

"Yeah?" Otaru replied, swallowing hard.

"Is..." Kakeru said, "Is Jiro sleeping right now, do you think?"

Otaru looked at him with shock. Kakeru, he noticed, always seemed to be full of surprises. To answer his question, Otaru shook his head in a "no". "Out by the lake with Rina, I think..." then he became suspicious. "Why?"

Kakeru grinned maniacally. "Oh... nothing..." he said slyly, "I just suggest that you stay out of your tent, tonight..."

Otaru nodded, and glanced at his watch. "Well, it's almost 4:30, anyway..." he said, "sleep would prob'ly be useless, right now."

Kakeru nodded, and grinned again, a glint in his eyes. "Perfect..." he whispered, almost to himself. Actually, Otaru was sure that he was speaking to himself. Another prank was surely stirring in the young man's mind.

After everything he had been through that week, Otaru suddenly felt very bold. He watched Kakeru with the side of his eye, then began to grin as well.

"Need help?" he suggested, and Kakeru looked him over skeptically. Then, he grinned.

"Got any duct tape?"

They both walked off, grinning wildly. --TD

 

 

 

THE END!!!!